Parallels 6; Do I need to purchase a windows license?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gator24765, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Okay so here is the deal. I have a mac and have always used a mac. Unfortunately for my job the one software that I use can only be used in windows. I am sick and tired on constantly switching computer. I would love to stay on my mac. I am looking to purchase Parallels 6 but my main question is do I have to purchase a windows xp/7 lisense?

Also, is there anyway I can transfer all of my files from my little windows netbook onto my mac easily?? I would like to purchase and be up and running in a very short time without worrying about transfering files and re-installing the software.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

anyway I can transfer the prodcut key from my old computer?

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Depends. What's the license on your netbook, did you install it yourself or did it come preinstalled? It's likely that the license simply wont activate again (only tryi with the same version of windows eg Windows 7 Home Premium x86 key will only work on 7 HP x86).

5. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I'm not sure. Most likely I wont be able to transfer the key. Purchasing this key makes this transfer a little expensive...

anyone know where i can get a cheap key?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your best bet is to stick with a retail license. You can get a retail upgrade license for ~$100 which will be more easily transferable. You can clean install it with some simple work and it's basically up to you to know that you qualify for the upgrade pricing.

If you're a student or have an edu e-mail you may be able to get a license for less.

B

7. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I am a student so I hope I can get it for less.

Do I need the actual install cd for parallels or just the product key?

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Parallels just gives you the ability to install other operating systems in a virtual environment, you will still need the media containing the actual operating system. It doesn't have to be a physical disc (it could be a .iso file that you've downloaded from, say, MSDN if you are a subscriber), but you will need the install disc in some form.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check with your school, you might be able to get it for free from MSDNAA, but if not you can use this link http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx to get it for $65 which is about half of what Win 7 Pro Upgrade would cost you at retail.

if you end up with an EXE download ou will have to get the ISO elsewhere (there are officail liks where you can get it).

B

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i figure this link is useless for your purposes, but if you want it..
    http://www.buy.com/prod/windows-7-family-pack-premium-upgrade/q/loc/105/211406681.html

[its the family pack for $100... not sure if you will need it as you are macing it up, but yeah.. other than that balamw has it right.. :) ]

11. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member