Parallels 6 vs 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Akula971, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

Hi I use Parallels 6 on my mid 2010 Mac Mini to run Win XP Pro. I have recently "upgraded" to Lion on this machine, and keep getting the blurb to upgrade to Parallels 7. Does it really offer anything worth having? The Parallels website has much, in fact too much stuff on it about Parallels 7, but I can't find anything that would inform me as to what the differences are between 6 and 7.

Anybody gone from 6 to 7? was it worth it? and why?

2. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I've recently gone from 6 to 7 and overall, I'd say unless you're really trying to squeeze everything out of your VM then it's not worth the update. I can't say I've noticed any significant speed increase (although some 3rd party reviews place 3d tests significantly faster than V6) and if anything, it seems a bit less "polished" than V6.. booting the VM up into coherence mode, for example, sees a few screen artefacts until a windows application is opened.

3. Akula971 thread starter macrumors regular

Akula971

I have since posting that, updated to 7, and just like you noticed, nothing (anything?) worthy of the cost. Some older bugs, where a program would start minimised and stay that way in coherence are still there. They say it is the program concerned, but it does not happen in bootcamp or on a windows machine. I have to leave coherence, go to a window view, and select cascade windows or tile horizontally/vertically. Then go back to coherence. :(

I have also found that WinXP seems to resets its style from max performance to best appearance all by itself. Not impressed with that:rolleyes:.