Parallels 6 vs. Bootcamp for Programming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KyleKlink, Apr 8, 2012.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I searched the forums for an answer to this question but didn't really find one that fit my situation.

I just bought a 13" MBP for use at school and work. I need to use Visual Studio 2010 for C++ programming and wondered whether it would be best to do so through bootcamp or through Parallels 6. Many of the threads I found said gaming would be better through bootcamp, but I didn't find anything mentioning programming.

Would Parallels 6 be an acceptable choice for running Visual Studio, or would I be better off using bootcamp? I don't do any gaming and can run everything on Mac OS except for Visual Studio. I'd prefer using Parallels so I don't have to reboot, but I want to make sure it's going to run smoothly.

2. simsaladimbamba

How much RAM do you have? If you have 4 GB and more and depending on the Windows version, Parallels Desktop might be a good solution.
    You could also test it with the 14-day trial of Parallels Desktop.

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

Running Windows inside a Virtual Machine will be good enough for your needs. If you haven't already purchased Parallels, you might want to try out Virtual Box. It's free and works well. That's what I use to run Windows.

4. KyleKlink thread starter macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I have 4GB right now, upgrading to 8GB by the end of the week. I have a copy of Parallels 6 that I got "free" with a previous Mac purchase but never used. I was considering using that with a copy of Windows Home Premium 64-bit. I'd hate to use bootcamp when it's just one program that I need from Windows.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

boot camp would be faster but most likely not the best option for you.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Parallels should be fine, in particular with 8 GB of RAM. Compile times are usually not an issue, and your typing speed is also not affected by any performance loss due to Parallels.