[Parallels 6 (W7)] Do I need an Anti-virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TaylorJ, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TaylorJ macrumors regular

I installed parallells 6 today and installed windows 7 'cause Im tired of all the crap chat clients (except ichat, but sucks because no msn) on the mac. Also with the lack of webcamming options. Tried skype, amsn, adium, ichat and I could not webcam with this one person. Both of our webcams were working. Had to use a web messenger to be able to webcam.

Anyway, do I need an antivirus for running windows virtually?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. I recommend AVG.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yes if you are running windows you will need an antivirus program, fortunatly you can find plenty of free ones that work well.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's really lightweight.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

It's made by microsoft, it's bound to be buggy crap.
    I'd recommend AVG or Avast.
    If you are willing to pay money for it, NOD32 is excellent.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials too. Same as what Roadbloc said, it's incredibly lightweight and free. Despite what Mulo has said, I have not had a single problem with it on any of my computers and many reviewers have been positive towards MSE.

7. KirkL macrumors 6502

Excellent deduction! Assume something about a product that you've never used :rolleyes:

I've used it and it's probably the least intrusive antivirus software I've ever used. It doesn't really get in your way when it needs to update etc. It's also the most lightweight of any AV program I've used.

MS Security Essentials is free, has a tiny memory footprint as others have mentioned and it's supposed to be on par w/ all the others in quality. No point in paying for antivirus really.

8. xsimsimx macrumors member

xsimsimx

i recommend NOD32 and AVG

they are some very good anti virus softwares.

9. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I recommend you download kaspersky from within parallels. Its provided for you for free for one year.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, some of the others mentioned here are free ALL the time.

11. Flyinb macrumors member

The anti virus software that comes with Parallels gave me nothing but problems. I have been using MSE for almost a year with no problems and to comment about the Microsoft comment ( kinda stupid since the whole thread is about running a Microsoft OS)

12. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Free antivirus

I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

Over the time I've tried many free antivirus as well as paid ones. Antivirus like AVG and Avast or Avira are very good in quality indeed, but fill your computer with trash and annoying advertisement for you to buy the paid software. MSE is very clean lightweight and pretty easy to use. Plus you've got real support from Microsoft and can be safe with its good ratings so far.

The best thing to do is not downloading things that you know or suspect aren't reliable. Be safe while using the internet and don't download crap.

Good luck:apple:

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AVG does not "fill your computer with trash" and I never saw a single ad while running it.

14. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Is just not as good... IMO

What edition do you have? When I used the AVG v9.x FREE, I remember it always showed an ad telling you to buy the Internet Security 9.0 Complete edition. It always opened when I wanted to scan or update manually.

I know this is very good software, but still IMO, MSE is much cleaner and is still very easy to use.

15. KirkL macrumors 6502

Yep

16. dyn macrumors 68030

I strongly recommend to not use AVG in a virtual environment. AVG is known to cause a lot of serious performance problems when running in a virtual environment (simply put it will render your vm and your Mac useless since it becomes too slow to respond). Antivir, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are free and have a good reputation regarding malware detection and removal. They are also lightweight and suited for virtual environments.

Not recommended in a virtual environment (aka Parallels and Fusion):
    - AVG
    - Norton stuff
    - McAffee stuff

Recommended:
    - Microsoft Security Essentials
    - Antivir
    - Avast

Search for antivirus software on both Parallels and Fusion forums. This will give you plenty of user experiences with antivirus products in a virtual environment.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have any facts to support that claim? I'd be interested to see links, if you have any.

18. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I don't really tend to recommend AVG only on the basis that I find it too chatty with unnecessary messages popping up. However, some people like to have constant notifications about what's going on with their antivirus.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course, you can easily configure AVG not to do that.

I have no vested interest in whatever anti-virus anyone chooses. I do take issue with anyone misrepresenting a product, as it misleads those who read these threads. I've seen many, many recommendations in this forum for AVG, in addition to my own. I've never seen any posts by people having problems with it. There may be some, but I haven't seen any.

20. dyn macrumors 68030

Like I said: do a search on the Fusion and Parallels forums. Regarding Fusion, it's even in the release notes for 3.0. One of the problems VMware found was the way AVG is auto-updating itself. It appeared that this caused a 100% cpu usage spike in the Windows vm. There's also something in AVG that is causing slowdowns with the internet connection and a higher load on the computer. This isn't due to the virtualised environment, it's simply part of AVG. A lot of people that run it on a standard physical environment are reporting performance problems with it as well. It started when version 8 was out and version 9 (the current version) has similar problems but they seem to have done something to reduce it.

However, it's known that AV software can cause a lot of performance problems in a virtualised environment. If your vm slows down try some other AV software. It's still software that requires some I/O. When running multiple vm's I/O becomes very critical and you'll notice slowdowns from software such as antivirus scanners.

@GGJstudios: there are quite a lot of people complaining about AVG, especially regarding a feature called LinkScanner. Check out the following: http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/007246.html & http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20395757-AVG-8-EXTREMELY-slow

I've also seen this on several computers from customers. Replacing AVG with either NOD32 or Microsoft Security Essentials restored the speed. A lot of users remarked that the computer feels a lot faster then before. However, on some machines it runs just fine. I've seen and heard other sysadmins having similar experiences with AVG.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the info. This is the first I've heard of it, as I haven't seen any complaints in MR forums.

However, the newest version of Fusion (3.1) says this in the release notes:
    So it appears the problem was with Fusion, not AVG.

The last two links you posted were from 2 years ago and related to an older version's implementation of Link Scanner, which isn't necessary for AV protection. I never used anything but the basic free AVG, and had no problems for me or any of the client computers I installed it on.

22. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Paralells is genius! Love the coherence feature. Its like having windows apps o a mac. It did slow down my computer though. Gonna need to save up to add 8 gb of ram.

I've used norton, avast, avg, kaspersky all in the past on my windows desktop. I prefer avast, avg and kaspersky. I will looking into MSE. I dont really need windows on here, just wanted to test out the features and be able to windows live messenger. So I think I can survive without a antivirus, but I'm going to get one anyway.

If I somehow get the virus, what will happen? Will it affect my mac or only the windows?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you run without AV on Windows, you're vulnerable to viruses. Since no viruses exist in the wild that run on Mac OS X, you have no worries there, as long as you're careful about where you get software and careful about when you enter your admin password. Of course, Windows viruses have zero effect on Mac OS X.

24. dyn macrumors 68030

A tad bit late but still...

If you read it as it is it simply says Fusion had 1 issue with virusscanners in general regarding resuming a vm. Fusion had more issues regarding resuming a vm. It seemed that for some the overall performance gradually degraded over time. This has very little to do with AVG itself apart from the fact that AVG is a virusscanner :)

The 3.0.1 release notes specifically told people not to install AVG due to an error in AVG which VMware had reported back to AVG. Something goes wrong with autoupdating and is causing a 100% cpu spike in the vm. Not very uncommon that a vm becomes quite unresponsive, any machine would do that. Fusion is not to blame for that. Mind you, not every piece of software likes to be virtualised, quite a lot of applications have strange issues when virtualised and none when run on a physical machine. AVG might be one of those.

People are still having issues with AVG with this new Fusion version and there are people having similar issues with AVG who aren't using Fusion or even virtualisation software. In other words: Fusion has got nothing to do with the problems, it simply is AVG who's to blame. Quite a lot of people have switched to other products.

The issue does not relate to an older version since people are still experiencing the same problem with the newer versions. Since that version the amount of problems people are having with AVG went up, before that version everything was ok. LinkScanner is one of the things that are installed by default which means you have to pay attention to what you're installing. Not installing it resolves this particular issue but logically it offers one less protection against malicious websites. If that's what you want to use than this makes something like AVG useless (the feature you want to use doesn't work, it causes problems).

I've seen quite a lot of different machines both physical and virtual with the AVG free edition. Some did not recognise threats (there is no scanner that has a 100& recognition rate), some had some very strange problems that were resolved by uninstalling AVG but most had performance issues. In a lot of cases McAfee and Norton caused less performance problems. I've also seen machines with AVG free edition without any problems. Since there is no way in telling whether AVG will work properly or not (it's a gamble) I don't really recommend it.

Regarding virtual machines: a lot of people tested MSE in a Windows vm and had very positive experiences regarding performance and malware recognition. It is proven "technology" as they say which is the main reason why I would vote for MSE. Why? Because as I said earlier, some applications do not like virtualised environments. If other people have tested it and ok'd it, it's a safe choice.

@TaylorJ: security and virtualisation has become a big issue. Parallels as well as Fusion offer you to integrate the vm into your OS X. This opens up your OS X data and applications to the vm and/or vice versa. You can set it up anyway you like and even disable it so the vm because standalone as it were. If you integrate the vm into OS X and let it access your local data this poses some security risks. If the vm gets compromised (you get some malware infection, virus, trojan, etc.) this can cause your data to be infected as well. Since you're running Windows inside the vm the malware/etc. does not affect OS X itself. You won't notice the infection until you sent your data to somebody else who's running Windows or try to open it (malware can delete or corrupt data!). The recipient's virusscanner will alert them of the infected file and block it (meaning: they won't be able to open it). If you're using it as a business this makes you look like an amateur, not good. An infection could also cause corrupted files rendering your files useless.

Yes, you should be worried but not more than any other Windows user should. Know what you're doing and make sure you set up your vm wisely. If you don't need the integration don't use it. If you need it, only enable what you need and install proper security software (virusscanner, etc.). It all seems quite logical but funnily this seems to be the biggest pitfall regarding virtualisation (people forget about security).