parallels 6 with 2010 mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by allupons, Sep 14, 2010.

1. allupons macrumors member

I recall reading that the previous version of parallels was preventing the new 2010 mac pro from booting after installed. Today Parallels 6 was released and I am installing the demo and I am wondering if doing this could possible hose my install of if the kinks have been worked out?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I know parallels is more buggy and less stable then other VMs (vmware & virtual box) but I don't believe it will hose one's mac up.

3. Zeiss macrumors member

Parallels 6 on Mac Pro

I too am waiting to know this... I went crazy when I first got my 2010 MacPro and kept getting Kernel Panics, thought I had a dead machine, turned out to be Parallels 5 installation that killed it. Soon as someone takes the risk and installs 6 let us know cause I want to play CityXL!!

4. db1 macrumors newbie

are you running any raid?

are you by chance running any raid 0 volumes- i have been waiting to hear if parallels has fixed the issue of not being able to detect changes in config file in raid volumes and thus it couldnt find boot camp?

Paralles response back in april 2010 "Indeed we have this issue reported to development team and it shoudl be solved in future updates of Parallels Desktop.

Currently Parallels Desktop does not recognize mount point of Boot Camp partition.
    When you restart Mac and mount point for Boot Camp partition changes, in configuration of Virtual Machine you still have old setting.

In new build Parallels Desktop shoudl automatically detect changes and change configuration file.
    For now there is workaround - each time after reboot change configuration of Virtual machine (assign Boot Camp partition)"

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hosing up and Kernel panics are two different things. I read the OP's post as that it was going to clobber his OSX install. I too ran into Kernel Panics with Parallels. So much so I'm using VMware as its much more stable.

6. instabusto macrumors member

They have already fixed the kernel panic issue on parallels 5 with 2010 mac pros. I see no reason why parallels6 would have it if it's already fixed in 5

7. Zeiss macrumors member

ok, just installed PD6 and can confirm that it did not cause any issues etc on my 2010 MacPro.

8. SeanDL macrumors newbie

No issues on my Mac Pro 2010 either. Have both Parallels 6 and the latest VM Ware Fusion running without problems.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wasn't on a MacPro when I was incurring KPs :confused:

10. PenguinMac macrumors member

My Parallels 6 comes today - I wanted the manual so bought the box. I MUST have an NTFS disk due to still using Windows programs that store files that OS X doesn't understand and won't copy (Windows Live Mail among them oddly), so I'm hoping that Parallels' feature of using a Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine works as expected on my Mac Pro.