Parallels 6 with Lion GM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 2002cbr600f4i, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Anyone try this yet? I haven't seen any info on the parallels web site about Lion compatibility.

I have to use parallels for running Ubuntu for grad school work, so this is a big stumbling block for me. I need to know it works before I can upgrade to Lion.

Likewise, any issues with Macports? (even though I hate it....I have some software that relies on that...)

2. ohsnap macrumors regular

Unless I'm just not doing something right, this is what happens when I try to run Parallels 6.

[​IMG]

3. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I get that same message plus two more. It won't run.

Damn. I have one program I use a lot and it's windows only :(

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

5. cosmos macrumors regular

cosmos

Not everyone is having a trouble free time with the GM of Lion and the latest Parallels release. At the very least, there appears to be a problem with spaces and Parallels. Someone had to set spaces to a single desktop, launch Parallels and then set spaces back to multiple.

<rant on>

It is maddening to me that Parallels has not posted a FAQ on whether Lion will/will not run with the current build of Parallels.

I posted in the forum stating the same over a week ago without a reply. Others have posted multiple times in different threads too.

IMHO, Parallels free support just plain sucks. I refuse to pay $19.95 for a support call to an overseas help desk just to ask a simple question if their software will work on the latest release of OS X.

<rant off>

6. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Remember that Lion is still pre-release software and technically I believe large parts of it are still NDA, which is why you won't see any comment from Parallels about it. VMware said a similar thing about Fusion a few weeks back.

Also, since Lion is pre-release, you should know better than to run it on a production box, if that's what you're doing. Parallels digs further down towards the kernel than most other applications so I'm not surprised that the current build doesn't work on 10.7; there are probably lots of changes that the devs need to make to get compatibility sorted.

The Parallels devs will have been receiving the DPs of Lion and the GMs and they will have been making the changes necessary, but you won't see any mention of this until Lion gets a release.

7. mobzd macrumors newbie

BTW: VirtualBox works fine with Lion.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

This is something that used to happen fairly regularly with Parallels and new OS X releases (even point releases): I used to use it but got fed up of issues when I updated OS X.

I moved to Fusion and have found it much more stable: Parallels does seem to wring the last ounce of performance out of the VMs but I wonder at what cost? Fusion has been rock solid for me and works flawlessly with Lion.

9. imacken macrumors 65816

I have no problems with Parallels 6 on Lion GM on my iMac 2011 27" 3.4GHz.

10. shompa macrumors 6502

No problems for me with parallels 6 6.012090.
    Windows 7.
    Macbook pro mid 2010.

11. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I don't have lion now, but this afternoon (it's 22:15 here now) when I was trying it, it did not work fine, It loaded the VM and everything but the windows were allways "minimized" and I could only see them using mission control, but only see them, not clicking or any interaction. Version 6.0.12092

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So Parallels DOES work with Lion? I have sent an email asking but got no reply? I use several Windows programs and MUST have Parallels working before installing Lion.

13. imacken macrumors 65816

I can only repeat that I have no problems at all with Parallels 6 on Lion. Out of interest, what programs do you 'have' to run in Windows?

14. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Running parallels 6 Build 6.0.12092 (Revision 670880; June 26, 2011) without any issues on a 2011 MBP with Lion GM.

15. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Almost no problems for me (MBP13 2011)

The only glitch I've seen is when the virtual machine rotates with animations turned on. The graphics get messed up for a few seconds.

Most likely because of the HD3000. Not a show stopper by any means.

16. LinMac macrumors 65816

Latest release of Lion GM with the latest Parallels 6 with no problems for me. I use one Windows application for many hours/days at a time so it has to be very stable for me to not notice anything. :D

I can't make any claims for speed, but it doesn't usually feel any slower than it ever has. Lion itself feels very fast.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Thanks and since you need to know:D, Healthy Edge, Quicken and Pronto Edit (though I'm changing over to iRule).

18. Tiberion macrumors newbie

Parallels 6 running on Lion

Hello all,

PD6 build 12094 officially supports Lion

If you have used Parallels in Spaces you could face the problem with "invisible" Virtual Machine window. It is addressed in http://kb.parallels.com/en/111682