Parallels 7 and 8GB ram...Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LonezWolf1991, Sep 17, 2011.

1. LonezWolf1991 macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I finally got parallels 7 and I wanted to install windows 7 on it. I usually gave the VM 2GB ram in the past, but now I have 8GBs so I can give windows a bit more. Can someone tell me their experiences with 32 or 64bit versions?
    Thanks!

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The bit is in relation to hard disk space, in lamen's terms; your RAM has nothing to do with it.

IIRC.

64 bit is the better option though.

3. Honbe macrumors regular

Well I think it has. In case the OP will assign more than about 3.2GB RAM to the VM, Windows 32bit will not be able to utilize that. So that for more RAM than this, it is better to go with 64bit.
    Better or not depends on what you are doing under Windows.

4. LonezWolf1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Under parallels, I will be doing some visual studio programming and OrCAD which is circuit simulation...and every now and then a light game like guildwars.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ah. Well I suggested the 64 bit regardless; that would serve his needs.

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

If you ever think you'll need more than 4g ram in your VM than you should use the 64b. But, if you think you are going to need more than 4g of ram you should use Bootcamp. Once you've got Windows installed and running there then you can use Parallels to access the bootcamp partition from inside Windows. Best of both worlds.

7. jsolares macrumors 6502a

LOL

64bit is in relation to cpu and memory addresses, you need 64bits in order to address more than 4GB of ram, if he's not going to give the VM's more than 4GB then 32bit is good enough.

8. LonezWolf1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

Originally I wanted to bootcamp windows, but I really like the idea of an expanding disk image that parallels uses, and it really helps since I have a SSD drive.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh my; excuse me then.

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I have a real partition on my drive in case I want to boot straight to windows and get closer to the metal, but I've also set up Parallels to use that partition as the source of its Virtual Machine. This set up works well for me in practice.

11. LonezWolf1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually curious as to how that works...I mean you have bootcamp drivers and parallels drivers installed, how does it not cause any issues with windows?

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Huh? Problems with what?

If you're questioning the relation to Parallels and bootcamp; when you use Parallels, it creates a virtual machine file that ranges from 15gbs (the lowest I've seen) to however high you want it to be.

When using the Bootcamp partition, instead of creating that virtual drive, it just uses the partition as a (gate) to the files. Kind of like wrapping the entire partition up in the virtual machine "skin" so it can read it.

It provides benefits such as dragging/dropping between the two among other things.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Early versions (versions 1&2) of parallels messed up boot camp video drivers when sharing the boot camp partition. This caused games to perform slowly or fail to run. I assume newer versions don't have such issues.

When booting from the boot camp partition its more than a wrapper to use the already allocated disk space, parallels and fusion do some magic with the windows systems files to use the correct drivers regardless of which boot method you use. Also had application and windows activation issues on those early releases. Hopefully, those are resolved by now as well.

Cheers,

14. LonezWolf1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

So essentially, when you're booting windows through bootcamp, it knows which drivers to load and the same case is for parallels when loading the bootcamp partition, correct?

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That is my assumption, however, after the bad experiences early on, I haven't tried using the bootcamp partition in either program. I'm sure other users can chime in since there are plenty of people doing this with more current versions of these programs.

Cheers,

16. windowstomac macrumors regular

17. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

I installed Windows 7 64-bit under Bootcamp and have 8GB to run it. When I don't want to restart my computer, I just run it with Parallels with 4GB. It is running perfectly for me

18. 3space macrumors newbie

Oh man, where do I even start with this one... Please, and this is a life lesson, learn it before you speak it. When you're sure you know it, confirm once again. Then by all means educate others.

Here's a quick overview:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You realize you bumped a 7 month old thread? I'm sure the posters have solved their issue and moved on by now.