Parallels 7 and Win7 (32 or 64 bit)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lugesm, Sep 2, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Originally, under Parallels 6, I had installed Windows 7 (32bit version), and this same 32bit version is still running under Parallels 7.

When I initially installed Windows 7, I bought the UPGRADE version of "Windows 7 Home Premium," and the package came with two (2) disks; one was 32bit and the other was 64bit. So, I have both original disks.

Question: Would I see any performance improvement if I re-install Windows 7 (64bit version) under Parallels 7 ?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Only if you plan on the OS addressing more than 3.25 GB of RAM.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have 8GB of memory, so I could devote 4GB to Win7 under Parallels 7.

It is my understanding that memory committed to Win7 is freed up when Parallels is not running, so I would still have my 8GB on the iMac most of the time.

----------

Does anyone know if Windows 7 (64bit) will simply install over Windows 7 (32bit) without complications ?

Thanks for your comments.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You are correct that the RAM is freed when Parallels isn't running.

I have heard of problems trying to install 64-bit overtop 32-bit. You're better off with a clean install. Heck, with Windows, you're ALWAYS better off doing a clean install.

6. jon08 macrumors 65816

With 8GB of RAM, will I be enjoying any advantages with 64-bit version of Win 7 as opposed to 32-bit in Parallels 7?

I plan to install 64-bit in my Bootcamp (on the HDD in the Optibay), but was thinking 32-bit would be more convenient for Parallels 7, which I run on my 120GB SSD...

Since I probably won't be assigning 4GB RAM to Parallels 7, are there any reasons at all to install 64-bit in it?

7. clark1 macrumors newbie

You could add a new VM with the 64-bit and retain your 32-bit install. I did similar with Parallels 6 running Snow Leopard. I initially installed 64-bit, but some legacy Windows programs would not run, so added 32-bit install. When Parallels starts up, the first VM, 64-bit, boots. I can additionally run the 32-bit or close the initial VM and start 32-bit. You assign RAM to each VM, so in your case you would only want to be running one at a time. I have 16 GB of overall RAM installed.

Regards,
    Will

8. jon08 macrumors 65816

Would I get any of the 64-bit advantages by installing it into Parallels 7 though?

9. MJL macrumors 6502a

Tests have shown me that Windows 7 x64 runs 7 ~ 10% faster than 32 bit, even when only 1.5 ~ 2 Gb of memory is being used.

You cannot install Windows x64 over 32 bit, it needs to be a fresh install.

You cannot have two installs using same activation key - you can only switch over and run the new one.