Parallels 7 not showing bootcamp option for me

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by johnhurley, Sep 5, 2011.

1. johnhurley, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Just purchased 6 today and doing the request a 7 key dance already.

I installed 7 and I am using a trial key for now.

Going into Parallels and I don't see any option to do a new thing from bootcamp ( which is working fine for me separately ). Under New Virtual Machine i see Buy Windows 7, Install Windows from DVD or image file, Migrate Windows from a PC, ( couple download choices ), Add Existing Virtual Machine, and Install OS X Lion Using the Recovery Partition.

According to the Doc I should be able to see and Click Boot Camp?

Is this because the trial key has some limitations?

*** Not sure if relevant but this system was done reinstalling OS lion on top of a new bigger hard drive. I renamed the hard drive from the default ...
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS tasha 399.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 350.3 GB disk0s4

2. SergeiDoc macrumors newbie

Try this..

Try to create a new virtual machine using "Continue without disc" option and then select the existing bootcamp partition. It works for me.

1. Choose 'New" from the Parallels Desktop menubar, then choose "New installation from DVD or image file". In the "Install from:" field please choose 'Continue without disk' and click 'Continue'

2. Proceed with creating a new Virtual machine to the stage of choosing Name and Location.
    Check the "Customize settings before installation" check-box and click 'Continue'.

3. When Configuration window opens click on 'Hard Disk1' and from the 'Source' list choose 'Boot Camp partition'.

3. johnhurley thread starter macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I uninstalled it but may try again thanks for the suggestions.

My current configuration MBP does NOT show the bootcamp partition on the os x list of choices for a startup disk. It is working fine and on the win 7 side I can set which operating system to default to. Works fine also from the startup using option key.

Wondering if parallels was having trouble also because it did not see win 7 bootcamp as a startup disk choice.

More info later ... thanks!