Parallels 7 Not working after Upgrade to Mnt. Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DirtyD1985, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DirtyD1985 macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2012
    Hello :apple: Everyone,

Yesterday night I upgraded to Mnt. Lion and like a noob I forgot to update Parallels 7 for my Late 2008 MBP first. Now parallels is saying "not compatipable" when I try to start it up. Does anyone know of a way to update Parallels to work on Mnt. Lion without reinstalling either programs?:confused:
  2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
  3. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2012
    As the person above me said. There is an update out for Parallels. You just need to download and install that.
  4. ramases macrumors member

Jan 14, 2008
    You need to follow the instructions on the parallels support page below

you will need to re-install the Desktop app (305Mb download)
  5. DirtyD1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2012
    Does anyone have a link to the update / know how to perform it? I cannot even start up Parallels, and the company website does not seem to help, unless I am doing something wrong?

Understood thank you for the assistance !:)
  6. jkeekij macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2011
    There is a link in post #4 and once that link is followed you will find instructions and the download.
  7. crashdebris macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2011
    Boomer! Sooner!
    version 6 user

I am a user of version 6. It is NOT being supported in Mountain Lion. I bought ver 6 after the start of an 8 week semester and ver 7 came out before end of semester, I was a bit mad when I was not offered a free upgrade at the time. I chaulked it up to unfortunate timing and went on with life. I needed the software when I bought it and it has worked flawlessly on lion.

I then decided to upgrade my systems to mountain lion. I did my older iMac first, I can afford to be without it since it is not my main school machine (online school). Everything went well so i decided to upgrade my Macbook Pro, which IS my main school machine. After it completes I find out about parallels 6 not being supported. I have a class starting in a couple weeks that requires windows so I am stuck.

I REALLY don't want to give parallels $50 to upgrade when ver 6 worked perfectly well on both snow leopard and lion. There is NO reason that they should not support a less than year old product. My other choice is to buy VMWare ver 4. Their website says it can migrate my existing virtual machine from parallels, but I'm a bit leary of buying it, migration not working correctly and then still having to buy parallels ver 7! I HAVE to have a working VM before the semester starts so I will probably go the parallels upgrade route even though I am NOT happy about giving in to what I consider extortion!

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread, but I didn't think a new thread for ver 6 was justified. Just needed to vent a bit.

tl;dr the above fix only works for Parallels Ver 7, Ver 6 users must upgrade or downgrade back to Lion.