Parallels 7 on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

This holiday weekend -well, here anyway- I thought I would try out Parallels 7. I've been a fan of VMWare for a long time and didn't really want to try Parallels since VMWare is ubiquitous in the IT world. However, the lack of updates from VMWare and the speed boasting by Parallels convinced me to try it out.

I can honestly say it is much, much faster than the VMWare public beta that I'm currently running. I use VMs all the time and run a great deal of high performance apps in my VMs (IDEs, Servers, Web Dev, App Dev, Databases, etc...) so I really depend on my VMs for real world performance and stability.

When I purchased my 2011 MBP I was hoping I would see a decent gain in VMWare which really didn't happen. It is not awful or anything but nothing like I was hoping for.

However, Parallels seems to be very quick and much more responsive on my MBP. I'm still 'kicking the tires' but I am thinking about purchasing a full serial number (I'm using a trial number).

Now, I've heard complaints that Parallels tends to nick you every year for an upgrade and that is a valid complaint. However, VMWare hasn't had a decent upgrade in awhile and even the current public beta doesn't really feel like it is Lion 'ready'.

I have included the trial link below so you can try it out if you are interested. If you are thinking about getting a VM or have VMWare now, you should try this out. You are not out anything and you may find your VM work going much faster.

You can get the trial here: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v7/ga/ParallelsDesktop-7.0.14920.689535.dmg

Once installed you can click to receive a 14 day trial serial number. It also has a removal app if you wish to delete it.

Cheers!
    -P

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Welllll......

And this is how advertisement works! :cool:

I just upgraded to Parallels 7 last week. I'm disappointed that I bought 6 literally a month ago and still had to pay for an upgrade. Besides that, amazing software really, my college uses it in all their classrooms. Way better than VMware, but I imagine they are working on something better in their virtualization to compete against Parallels.

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I just installed VMWare with 7 Ultimate this morning, but if Parallels 7 is really better I guess I have to give it a go; once I hit submit it looks like I'm making a trip over to the AppStore...

4. cmclaughlan macrumors member

At least VMware worked with Lion and BSD 9 beta 1 under Lion. I don't think I will be back at Parallels for quite some time.

5. azxr, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

azxr macrumors member

Same here. I have used just about every VMWare product out there except vSphere and the newest version of that is on its way.

On the day that 7 came out I went to the URL below and purchased 6 for $29.99 since I had a valid VMWare Fusion license key. They state that if you upgrade now, you'll be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the next version.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/form/

It is still active, so I expect they would honor the upgrade. A relatively inexpensive way to get 7.

I have installed 6, but haven't had time to load Windows 7 yet. Looking forward to getting 7 and see how Parallels works.

Just found a response from Parallel on their forum confirming the update to 7.

----------------------

If you purchase upgrade from VMWare Fusion to Parallels Desktop 6 at our website:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/

you will be eligibel for free upgarde to Parallels Desktop 7, as the purchase will be done after August 1, 2011. See Parallels Desktop 6 Tech Guarantee here:

http://www.parallels.com/keyfor7

6. ya1950 macrumors regular

The above works as advertised. I Just upgraded to P7 for the $29.99 price!

7. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

Thanks bunches! I just submitted my product key and receipt to Parallels.

All the best,

8. jpearn macrumors member

Anyone having issues with their boot / shutdown time increasing after installing Parallels 7 ??

There's a thread ongoing here. . .