Parallels 7 - Sharing External?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I'm running Parallels 7 on an iMac with an external WD 1tb hd. I have Windows 7 Pro on the Parallels side and the External is FAT32 format. Is their any proper way to share that drive on the Mac side so that when Windows is in Coherence it can be seen on both sides, saved on both sides and files can be opened.

Thanks - when I called Parallels they're no help.

2. GGJstudios, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

The system running Parallels 7 is a studio and their biggest file is probably 25mbs. I felt safe using FAT32 so that the Mac can write to it as well as the PC portion. Mac Journaled wouldn't let me and NTFS is PC only.

They have to backup data from a program daily which is only opened on Windows and the HD can only be read from a PC not a Mac. Thus my biggest issue. If you have suggestions or idea's I'd love to hear them.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can read and write NTFS drives with Mac OS X:

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information. I knew it could be done but this studio isn't going to shell out money to have this feature. Thank you though for taking the time to post this - I hope others out there will use this information to their benefit.