Parallels 7 won't run in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macenthusiast97, Nov 5, 2013.

1. macenthusiast97 macrumors newbie

Can anybody help me? I downloaded mavericks without knowing that parallels 7 wouldn't work. It's used for book keeping and records, since simply accounting isn't available for Mac. Will upgrading to parallels 9 delete my data on the windows side? I don't care about paying for the upgrade, I just don't want to lose any of my information. Thanks!

2. chabig macrumors 68040

You won't lose any data. Shut down the virtual machine, upgrade Parallels, then restart the virtual machine. Easy peasy.

3. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chabig- mavericks wont't even let me open parallels 7 to shut it down, although when I upgraded to mavericks all my applications were closed. When I try to download parallels 9 it asks me to delete my parallels 7, but says the virtual machine will still be there. Does the virtual machine include my windows xp with simply accounting?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I shut it down as a precaution. But if you can't, you can't. I still think you'll be fine.

----------

Yes. The virtual machine isn't affected when you install or upgrade Parallels.

5. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to revert to mountain lion?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Only if you have a backup to restore from. I don't think it's worth the effort.

7. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chabig- don't mean to annoy you, but how sure are you that my accounting data will be fine? Just want to be completely sure. Thank you so much

8. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm 100% sure your virtual machine will remain intact in your Documents folder. And Parallels 9 is going to be running the same virtual machine that Parallels 7 was, so I'm 100% sure your documents and data will remain intact. The only thing that will change in your virtual machine is the installed version of Parallels Tools. Still, you should make and keep a backup of your virtual machine before upgrading--just in case.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even have a clue how to backup. Can I somehow save to my Mac hardrive?

11. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says that I needed to upgrade to parallels 9 before installing mavericks. Does this mean I'm totally screwed?

12. mingqing007 macrumors newbie

mingqing007

13. chabig macrumors 68040

Just make a Finder copy of the virtual machine.

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

Is it true mac doesn't have any good accounting/book keeping software?

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Contradictory statements. FACT: Digital data can NEVER be considered fine or safe without backups. Hard drive fail all the time without any warning. Mistakes are made all the time and not realized until after it's too late. Accidents are VERY common. Casual data requires at least 1 on site backup (Time Machine is easiest and best for retrieving data from any past date) and if data is important then there should be 1 (or even better 2) onsite and an offsite (weekly) backup.

Time Machine starting point.

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’ve updated Parallels twice without any issues with my existing VMs.

However ...

That’s what I was going to recommend.

If you (the OP) navigate in Finder to: Documents >> Parallels

You should see one or more PVM files (I have 8 :D), with names you should recognize from the Parallels startup/machine selection window. That’s your Windows VM, and it’s completely independent from your Parallels application. If you want to secure them, you can make a copy to a different directory, or even better to an external drive, and/or a cloud service like Dropbox.

On a separate note: if you’ve got business critical data not being backed up, you’re nuts. :eek: Get an external hard drive _immediately_ connect it, setup Time Machine. On a Mac that has such a simple built-in backup, there’s no reason not to use it. Time Machine by default will include your VM directory.

17. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Come on, man.... you can't be serious.

Are you serious?

18. macenthusiast97 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I found my VM and duplicated it, also opened time machine to back up some things. Going to upgrade parallels this afternoon