Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Can anybody help me? I downloaded mavericks without knowing that parallels 7 wouldn't work. It's used for book keeping and records, since simply accounting isn't available for Mac. Will upgrading to parallels 9 delete my data on the windows side? I don't care about paying for the upgrade, I just don't want to lose any of my information. Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
You won't lose any data. Shut down the virtual machine, upgrade Parallels, then restart the virtual machine. Easy peasy.

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Chabig- mavericks wont't even let me open parallels 7 to shut it down, although when I upgraded to mavericks all my applications were closed. When I try to download parallels 9 it asks me to delete my parallels 7, but says the virtual machine will still be there. Does the virtual machine include my windows xp with simply accounting?

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
I shut it down as a precaution. But if you can't, you can't. I still think you'll be fine.

----------

Does the virtual machine include my windows xp with simply accounting?

Yes. The virtual machine isn't affected when you install or upgrade Parallels.

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I shut it down as a precaution. But if you can't, you can't. I still think you'll be fine.

----------

Yes. The virtual machine isn't affected when you install or upgrade Parallels.

Is it possible to revert to mountain lion?

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
Only if you have a backup to restore from. I don't think it's worth the effort.

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Chabig- don't mean to annoy you, but how sure are you that my accounting data will be fine? Just want to be completely sure. Thank you so much

chabig

macrumors G3
Sep 6, 2002
I'm 100% sure your virtual machine will remain intact in your Documents folder. And Parallels 9 is going to be running the same virtual machine that Parallels 7 was, so I'm 100% sure your documents and data will remain intact. The only thing that will change in your virtual machine is the installed version of Parallels Tools. Still, you should make and keep a backup of your virtual machine before upgrading--just in case.

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
It says that I needed to upgrade to parallels 9 before installing mavericks. Does this mean I'm totally screwed?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Is it true mac doesn't have any good accounting/book keeping software?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Chabig- don't mean to annoy you, but how sure are you that my accounting data will be fine? Just want to be completely sure. Thank you so much

I don't even have a clue how to backup. Can I somehow save to my Mac hardrive?

Contradictory statements. FACT: Digital data can NEVER be considered fine or safe without backups. Hard drive fail all the time without any warning. Mistakes are made all the time and not realized until after it's too late. Accidents are VERY common. Casual data requires at least 1 on site backup (Time Machine is easiest and best for retrieving data from any past date) and if data is important then there should be 1 (or even better 2) onsite and an offsite (weekly) backup.

Time Machine starting point.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I’ve updated Parallels twice without any issues with my existing VMs.

However ...

Just make a Finder copy of the virtual machine.

That’s what I was going to recommend.

If you (the OP) navigate in Finder to: Documents >> Parallels

You should see one or more PVM files (I have 8 :D), with names you should recognize from the Parallels startup/machine selection window. That’s your Windows VM, and it’s completely independent from your Parallels application. If you want to secure them, you can make a copy to a different directory, or even better to an external drive, and/or a cloud service like Dropbox.

On a separate note: if you’ve got business critical data not being backed up, you’re nuts. :eek: Get an external hard drive _immediately_ connect it, setup Time Machine. On a Mac that has such a simple built-in backup, there’s no reason not to use it. Time Machine by default will include your VM directory.

macenthusiast97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
So I found my VM and duplicated it, also opened time machine to back up some things. Going to upgrade parallels this afternoon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.