Parallels 8 - Boot Camp - MacBook Pro with Retina display

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Alan Macbook Pr, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Alan Macbook Pr macrumors newbie

I installed Parallels 7 and then Windows 7 and just upgraded to Parallels 8. While it works very well, I'd still like to have a Boot Camp option. (I'm using one of the new MacBook Pros with Retina displays with 16 GB of memory if it makes any difference.)

I was reading in OSX Mountain Lion (The Missing Manual) by David Pogue, the New York Times computer columnist, that Parallels can use the same copy of Windows as Boot Camp. (This statement was found on Page 318 under the second "Tip" on that page.)

Since I installed Parallels 8 and Windows first but would like to have a Boot Camp option, specifically how can I create a Boot Camp partition and share the copy of Windows 7 that I already have on the machine and still have the option of running Parallels 8? (I've seen how to create a Boot Camp partition, install Windows and then install Parallels but I can't find much on how to go the other way... Parallels + Windows 7 and then create a Boot Camp partition...)

Is there a step-by-step set of instructions for how to accomplish this? Is there a link to a posting or an article that shows how to accomplish this?

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

should be able to still use Boot Camp utility, install bootcamp and the Windows OS. Then go and create a new VM through Parallels and select the Bootcamp option.