Parallels 8 for Ubuntu On MacNervous Nelly here!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Patth9, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

I have searched youtube and Google for hours and still I'm a bit nervous about if what I want to do is going to work.

I'm using Mac 10.8.5 on i7 Mac Mini.
    I've partitioned a 219 GB partition
    I've downloaded ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    Trying to follow these instructions.

My question is, with Parallels 8 already installed on my Macintosh hard drive under Applications, will I be able to direct the Ubuntu operating system to the partitioned volume?

I stopped the process after installing Parallels, because I am unsure how Ubuntu will end up in the partitioned volume set a side for Ubuntu.

I did this process a couple of years ago, but just can't remember how it works.

Better save than sorry, I just need a little push.

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I'm a little confused about what you mean but if you are intending to install Ubuntu from outside Parallels while it is running that wouldn't be the way to do it. Maybe you already know that.

You would selection the option to install an operating system within Parallels and follow the steps to do so there which in the worst case can result in a virtual machine install that for whatever reasons doesn't go well but isn't going to affect your Mac or OS X.

That said, I would caution you to head over to the Parallels forums first and do some reading about the current state of affairs when it comes to installing any current Linux distro into Parallels. Newer Linux kernels are a problem and there are issues with Parallels tools even in Parallels 10 never mind Parallels 8.

I have interest in setting up some Linux virtual machines myself running a variety of distributions and discovered this in doing a little homework beforehand. As fate would have it, I am also running Parallels 8 which by the way in my experience here does startup just fine in Yosemite despite what they would have us believe. It also starts up virtual machines running Windows XP and Windows 7 here and runs programs within them without issues.

Anyway, I would not expect a current distro to work on any Parallels at the moment unfortunately. Again though I would encourage you to visit their forums and read up on the problems for yourself rather than take my word for it.

Wish I had better news. I plan to evaluate VMware as a replacement although I heard something about that having known problems with the latest kernel going back to the end of last year that remain unresolved. I do not know how accurate that second hand information is though. I have not done my own investigation yet.

It may be that the free Virtual Box is ultimately the best way to run Linux on a Mac at the moment and it probably bears looking into if the commercial solutions do not run it at this time. Depending on your needs this might be just fine too. I think the biggest tradeoff there is probably still accelerated video support needed say by games or other graphics apps.

3. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I have both VMWare Fusion and Virtualbox and they both run Linux perfectly n my MacBook Pro without a problem. I have tried many distros too and installation was very easy.