Parallels 8 Installation Issues: Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fskywalker, Sep 5, 2013.

1. fskywalker, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Hi. When I installed Parallels for Desktop 8 yesterday on my 13 inch rMBP the program never gave me the option to install the Windows operating system of my choice (like it is supposed to do), but rather went all the way and installed a Windows XP version that seems to come bundled with the software.

[​IMG]

Have anyone experienced this? How can I avoid this? I'm trying now to upgrade the Windows OS to Windows 7 but the system does not allows me to reboot the Windows software from the external DVD of my machine. :mad:

Thanks,

Francisco

2. fskywalker, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I got it resolved with the help of the Parallels tutor, apparently this version requires you to initiate the installation through the file, new function in the menu

3. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I'm glad you got it resolved, but I'm still baffled that you got a free copy of WinXP with it. I sure didn't notice anything like that when I installed v. 9.

4. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

It is indeed something very strange. I have Parallels 7 and 8 versions and had the same issue with both, honestly don't know how that happened.

5. MeUnix macrumors 6502

When I got Parallels 8, I had to install my own copy of Windows.. There was no OS with it.

Strange

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

You know what, I bet you have an ISO or IMG of windows somewhere on your HD (Archived or something). I do, along with several other OS's and spotlight tells Parallels where they're at and asks if I want to install. Could it be that some variation of this is what's happening here?

7. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Will have to check. I bought the Mac used with installed software, so you may be right.