Parallels 8 installation ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by haumana, Sep 26, 2012.

1. haumana macrumors member

Iʻve done searches, but have not found an answer for the issue Iʻm facing...

I have a Mac Pro (tower) and am running 10.6.8 - Fusion 2 w/XP on the HD in bay 2. I have Snow Leopard installed on one HD and Mountain Lion installed another. I only run one OR the other, never both at the same time in the rig.

Iʻm upgrading to Mountain Lion and Fusion 2 is not compatible. I bought Parallels 8 to install on the new Mountain Lion HD, but need to know how to install Parallels 8 to the new HD, and not have to "reinstall" XP.

Basically, I just need Parallels to open the existing XP HD. Can someone tell me if this is possible, or do I have to go back to Fusion (and upgrade while on my Snow Leopard HD), or if my request is just too crazy to ask for? :eek:

I apologize if I confused anyone.

Thanks for your time and attention!

2. hakuin, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

hakuin macrumors regular

You can convert your Fusion VM to use with Parallels. Two simple steps:

1. Make sure that the VMware image file is not split into 2 GB files (check setting under VMWare)
    2. Select Open in Parallels (after step 1 is complete) and open the VMware machine. A virtual machine conversion will start automatically.

Taken from here:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=114254

As Parallels 8 is compatible with Snow Leopard, you can do the conversion before upgrading to Mountain Lion, if you want.

To be safe, you may want to create a backup of your VMware image before doing the above.

3. haumana thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Okay, I get that I can do the upgrade and then migrate P8 right into Mountain Lion.

Stupid question: How do I find the vmware image? I checked settings in vmfusion, but it mostly gives me options to control how it interacts with the XP installation. Am I looking in the wrong place?

4. hakuin macrumors regular