Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I bought Parallels Desktop 8 a few years back though a software bundle deal and have now upgraded to version 9 about 6 months ago.

Can I do anything with the old version 8 serial number, like use it on another Mac, or will that mess with my version 9 install?

Thanks

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I bought Parallels Desktop 8 a few years back though a software bundle deal and have now upgraded to version 9 about 6 months ago.

Can I do anything with the old version 8 serial number, like use it on another Mac, or will that mess with my version 9 install?

Thanks

Will not mess with anything on another Mac. Maybe try to sell it is another possibility. But it will not be to long before it is outdated, so to speak. Already outdated but still usable. Parallels does not support it anymore and I do not know how much longer Mavericks will support you being able to use it.

Just my 2¢.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
You might into problems with simultaneous usage if the v9 upgrade retains the v8 serial number and is network aware, but it would be a very strange upgrade that didn't require you surrender to your right to use the earlier version.

Maybe try to sell it is another possibility.
:eek:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
There's nothing that is stopping you from utilizing both licences - you paid for each of them!

I don't agree with one of firedept's comments - Parallels is still supporting PDM8, an update was issued just a few weeks ago and it's working fine on my rMBP.

There is one important point - Parallels does not support using two different versions of PDM on one Mac partition (see this post: http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...-7-on-same-Mac&p=700300&viewfull=1#post700300). On a different partition or Mac and with different VMs there won't be any issues with licensing.

And, each version of PD "Tools" is different - Tools for v8 won't work with v9 and vice versa in a VM.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Read his post. He is asking about using it on different machines, unless I am reading it wrong. Then I am surely mistaken.

Did not know 8 was still being updated. I usually update when new versions arrive. My bad. Still stated it would work though. Parallels does have a habit of abandoning past versions pretty quick.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Then you should read their EULA. I have.
I did actually look for an upgrade-specific EULA but couldn't find one.

I did find http://kb.parallels.com/en/112971 which states "a Parallels Desktop for Mac retail license can only be used for activation of Parallels Desktop for Mac on a single Mac machine"; the question is whether or not an upgrade grants an additional licence.

If it *does* give an additional licence it would effectively mean that the upgrade product is identical to the full product, which would be a novel pricing policy.

Have you got a link to the EULA you're referring to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.