Parallels 9 coming out, worth to upgrade from PD8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oldguru, Sep 11, 2013.

1. oldguru macrumors member

I got the PD8 at Jan 2013. I saw PD 9 is out, I am wondering whether it is worth to upgrade from PD8 to PD9 with 49 USD?

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on what you do with PD8 and if the enhanced and new features of PD9 could be helpful for your virtualisation needs.

3. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

I think it's urgent to wait for Mavericks and see how PD8 behaves within this new environment.

4. laurihoefs, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Parallels Desktop 9 offers DirectX 10 support and easier setup, among a slight performance increase.

The Mac Observer has some benchmarks: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/first-look-parallels-desktop-9-windows-benchmarks

From what I've read, Parallels 8 has already been updated to support Mavericks, both as a host and quest OS. But how well it works and performs is still an open question, at least until Mavericks is officially out. If you plan on upgrading to Mavericks, it might be a good idea to wait a while for reports to start coming in, just like SadChief said.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

USB ports don't work in version 8 + Mavrix. :(

6. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

That's sad news. Did you check what's going on in PD9 USB Preferences (Mavericks)? Please confirm.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Not using version 9.

8. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

I'm sorry, I meant DP8 and Mavericks in my question. So, did you check USB Preferences? Thank you.

9. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I'm using PD9 right now, there's not that many differences unless you want to use Mavericks in VM. But if DP10 rids the ugly pause logo then I'll upgrade in a heart beat. Their icon is ugly and is usually misconcepted.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Actually, I did a complete removal and reinstall of version 8. My ports are working now! I suspect one of the 6 subsequent DP's did something but can't tell which one.

And yes, My USB devices always were showing up in preferences.

So yes! Looks like I saved 50 bucks! Party at Bill's house! (Airfare not included).

11. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

Thanks a lot for reporting your experience! And have a nice party ;)