Parallels and Apple Remote Desktop Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Fender2112, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

Has anyone tried accessing a Parallels VM using Apple Remote Desktop or Windows Remote Desktop (for Mac) from a remote Mac. If so, how is the speed and performance?

I use Windows Remote Desktop for Mac to connect to an XP box at work and performance is acceptable. I need to purchase a new computer in the near future and would like for it to be a Mac. But I have to be able to run Quickbooks (Windows) for various reasons. All of the OS X VNC clients I've tried are painfully slow and unacceptable for what I need. I am hoping that Apple Remote Desktop used with a Parallels VM is acceptable.

Any thoughts?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why not just use ARD to connect to the Mac and use Parallels that way?
    Is there some advantage to trying to use a VNC server on a Parallels VM?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've run XP via Parallels on my MacBook Pro.

From a remote Mac, I had no problems using the Mac Remote Desktop Client to RDP into the XP system that was running in Parallels.

That was much quicker than trying to remote control Parallels by remote controlling the Mac itself.

I'm not sure if I explained that quite right, but .. :)

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I have accessed my Parallels Windows XP VM directly using a Windows Remote Desktop client a number of times and the performance is fine. I too have found the performance of VNC to be lacking when compared to Windows Remote Desktop.

5. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fender2112

When you used Windows Remote Desktop, was this from a PC or a Mac?

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've used both. When I'm on a Mac I prefer to use CoRD, because it's Universal and open source.

7. cregy macrumors newbie

But How!!!

Looking forward to hearing the answers on this one! I am trying to log in to a xp pro vm from another computer on a lan. I would love to know how you did it please?

What port etc?

Thanks

Rich

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Just to be clear - you want to use remote dekstop to connect to an XP machine?

9. cregy macrumors newbie

Yes.

The scenario is:
    XP Machine uses remote desktop to connect to the XP on the parallels on the mac.

What we're trying to do is run Sage reports through Parallels on the Mac Pro.

Hope that makes things clear?

Rich

10. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Well that should work if:

- You have the "Allow remote desktop connections" box ticked in Computer properties
    - If XP SP2 the firewall is turned off (I would turn it off for troubleshooting anyway) or has the RDP exception enabled
    - Your VM has an IP address on the same subnet as the rest of the machines on the LAN. This is normally achieved by using the bridged mode (connect directly to LAN) instead of NAT mode (share the host machines IP address) in network settings for you VM. You should be able to ping that IP address from other machines on the LAN depending again on the firewall settings.

11. cregy macrumors newbie

Pinging Fine but still no RDC

Hi

Thanks for the help so far. We are pinging fine from the xp trying to connect to parallels through rdc. On the parallels machine we have allow rdc ticked and the firewall off. We can also see the machine on the network through network connections. But we are still told that we could not connect to the remote computer.

Any further thoughts please?

Thanks

Rich

12. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i oftenly (quite often??) remote into my mac that is running parallels (from another mac, havent tried a PC). the parallels "window" is quite slow, because the mouse has to be relayed back as an image instead of being displayed by the VNC program.. so thats a tad annoying.

14. Stecchino macrumors member

Tried to connect to my Parallels VM (Win XP) from a Mac at home and this suggestion solved the problem for me. Inside Parallels 4 I had to go to Virtual Machine menu -> Configure... -> Network Adapter 1 -> Bridged Networking

15. davidav macrumors newbie

Cord is great

Thanks Rojersmj - I was trying to work out how to Remote Desktop from Parallels but using Cord from a Mac is much cleaner and simpler and Cord seems to work really well. I really recommend this approach to anyone trying to access a Windows server from their Mac.