parallels and battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefreakid, Aug 10, 2007.

1. thefreakid macrumors member

hey everyone, i just had a few questions about parallels and how it affectgs the battery life

how harshley does runing parallels affect battery life?
    i plan on using autocad rhino and office using parallels. How will these programs affect the battery life?

Thank you for all the help

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

In just my limited experience with Parallels so far, it looks like it is pretty hard on the battery. The time in the battery meter drops considerably when I have a VM running. More RAM would probably help. The drop in battery life is probably due to the HD running more to use virtual memory for 2 OSs at the same time.

3. martinmartin macrumors 6502

it takes a big hit on the battery.

4. thefreakid thread starter macrumors member

then i guess it wont be such a good idea for me to get a mac as i will be needing windows programs mostly

5. Vorst macrumors member

With my new MBP I run between 4 to 4:40 on the battery. Next week I will get my Windows XP OEM disc. I guess OSX has part in the efficient power consumption and don't forget the led display and hardware (santa rosa).
    With any windows laptop I never got more then 2 hours out of a battery.
    Consider the super experience this computer gives, then I only consider the money as a negative factor.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

What's interesting is that when I boot into XP using bootcamp I can hear the HD churning all the time. When I am using OSX the HD is very quiet. So, yeah, either Apple has gotten OSX to run very smoothly or they haven't optimized the drivers for XP in bootcamp.

7. thefreakid thread starter macrumors member

well i bought a sony then returned it because of horrible service and dead pixel, i bought it for 2300 shipped and i got a ectra large battery for it. The macbook pro that im getting is the 2.4 15.4" one im getting it for 2,200 because i work at whole sale electronics and my boss gets em cheap lucky me i guess. I just dont know which is the better buy in my situation and im getting closer to crunch time as college starts on august 27th. Any sugestions guys. Mac or windows. I need the pc to run autocad rhino photoshop and office 07. I really dont know if i will be doing a lot of computer drafting in school, if i will be doing it mostly at home then ill definatly go with the mac. I need all the extra battery life i can get. I also dont want to have any compatibility issues. Please help guys what are your sugestions my choice rests on your hands. Thank you for all the help everyone.

P.S exuse my horrible grammer, it is very late in new york and im half out of it right now.