Parallels AND Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blurb23, Jan 20, 2008.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently waiting to pick up my first Mac as soon as the MBPs are updated. I've been lurking around here for a while now, helping out where I can.

As a switcher, I'm undoubtedly going to need to use some of my Windows only programs (IE, Paint.NET). I'll probably use Parallels to fire up those programs while in OSX, so I don't have to reboot.

However, I also like to game, which would require the use of Boot Camp.

My question is, is it possible to use the same copy of Windows for both Parallels and Boot Camp? Like if I go out to Best Buy and pick up a copy of XP Home, will it work for both Parallels and Boot Camp, or will I need two copies due to usage restrictions?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, if you have a boot camp partition, parallels will recognise and (optionally) use it. It's a tad faster that way too. Note, however, that unless you have a volume license, you'll need to activate Windows twice

3. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. When you say that I'll need to activate Windows twice though, does that require me to purchase two separate copies of Windows?

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

No, you should be able to activate Windows up to 4 times before it makes you telephone Microsoft

5. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beautiful, thanks.