Parallels and BootCamp all together

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by imm22, Oct 3, 2008.

1. imm22 macrumors regular

I have a question regarding bootcamp and Parallels...

It's possible to have a windows XP/Vista dualboot installations (bootcamp) and use parallels based on that installations?

I ask this because I Need to use CAD software (very heavy) on windows natively, but still having the possibility to run windows inside MAC OS (parallels)

Do I need to have 2 windows installations?
    One for Parallels and another for Bootcamp? That's a lot of Disk Space + All the windows CAD programs :confused:

Thanks

2. Chuckypool macrumors member

I installed XP using bootcamp and later installed Parallels to use the same XP partition. Works fine.

So, yes, is the answer to your first question.

No, you don't need two XP installations.

3. imm22 thread starter macrumors regular

And the programs? all worked? this means if you install for exemple Autodesk Inventor using the bootcamp to access windows you can still run it inside apple OS using paralles?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

A Windows app can be run under Windows only, whether Windows is natively booted or virtualized. The Mac can't "run" it just because there's another layer available, it's still running in a Windows environment.

If you were asking whether Autodesk would perform sufficiently in a virtualized environment, that depends on how much RAM you allocate, the available horsepower of your machine, etc. I would guess yes. I run SQL, Oracle 9 & Oracle 11 environments in Fusion all the time with no issues, allocating only 1 core and 1GB of RAM to the VM.

Or, if you're asking whether the VM'd Windows environment has access to the same things as the BootCamped one, of course it does, it's the same installation.

5. imm22 thread starter macrumors regular

That's nice.

Thanks for your clarification !