Parallels and Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BasilFawlty, Jun 14, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I recently installed Parallels to run Windows 7 on my iMac. I have Win 7 installed under bootcamp and it works fine. When I installed Parallels, I chose to use my Bootcamp installation as my Win 7 source. It works fine, but I keep getting a message that says "This copy of Windows is not genuine". Ok, so I understand that I need to "activate" the windows on my virtual machine under parallels. My question is this: If I "activate" windows on the Virtual machine under parallels, will I still be able to boot natively using Bootcamp (holding the Option Ket and selecting Windows)? In other words, can both be activated or is it one or the other? Would appreciate hearing from folks who are running Parallels and used the bootcamp install as the Windows source.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know in the past you could call MS and explain what you were doing to help get this resolved. In the beginning, they were clueless, but as more began using Fusion and Parallels, it became a common call.

I haven't Bootcamped in a good while, so not sure if that is still the case. In Fusion, there was a sequence and order to have your Windows activated that avoided it, but I still had to call.

I run virtual now without Bootcamp and don't miss the hassels it brought at all. I never natively booted anyway, so it was not needed.