Parallels and Fedora 14 on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VwTdi09, Aug 3, 2011.

1. VwTdi09 macrumors newbie

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and it has actually kept me from using Parallels on MBP. So the issue is that I have a VM of Fedora 14 running on my MBP and the resolution on the VM is just horrible.

Reading other people's issues with resolution, it seems that they get a small resolution (640x480 or something along those lines) and there is a blank, black border all the way around their screen. This is NOT the issue that I'm having.

I have the problem where no matter what my screen resolution is set to in Fedora, the GUI appears exactly the same. I've tried running this on my MBP's screen and also on an external monitor. With the external monitor, I can set the resolution up to 1920x1080 (the monitor does support this natively) but still looks the same as if I had it set at a much lower resolution.

I have the same version of Fedora running natively on a Mac Mini and the resolution looks perfect.

In Parallels, I have 256MB of video memory allocated for my VM and 2GB of regular RAM.

I've modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf to allow for 1920x1080 and still no dice.

The problem I have is that one terminal window takes up half my screen and the font is huge!

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the issue is related to the VM drivers and being such I don't think F14 is an ideal candidate for virtualization. I too installed fedora 14 and was disappointed in the display performance.

My only suggestion is to engage the folks in the fedora forum on this

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Fedora 15 will work in VMWare Fusion if you felt like giving it a try, you just have to make sure to install VMWare Tools (most people forget that step!)

That being said if you are using Gnome it will default to an older version, supposedly from things I've read on the internet Fedora doesn't play nice virtualized but a fix is in the works. Other than that though it works great.