Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I am about to dive into the VM world and had a few questions. Currently I am using a 2010 2.66 MacBook Pro 13" with 8GB of RAM running Snow Leopard. I plan to install Lion on an external drive soon and later install it into my computer. The question I have is, can I use Parallels on my Snow Leopard hard drive and Lion drive? I will be going back and forth between SL and Lion and want to know if its possible.

Later on I will most likely make Lion permanent so should I keep it with Parallels?

I know Parallels 6 is out, is 7 coming out soon? Should I purchase 6 now?

Thanks for reading!

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
That's very reassuring. Thank you!

But can Parallels be used interchangeably between Snow Leopard and Lion? Or is this like a one license per "machine"?

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Can I install Parallels on my SL drive and my Lion drive? Would I be able to store my Windows image on an external drive and run it off of that when I am loaded onto either OS?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Can I install Parallels on my SL drive and my Lion drive? Would I be able to store my Windows image on an external drive and run it off of that when I am loaded onto either OS?

Yes, I even have one VM I keep on a NAS. It's just a file.

Just note that performance will be throttled by the bus speed. If you use a relatively slow external USB performance will suffer over a SATA or FW800 connection.

B

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Yes, I even have one VM I keep on a NAS. It's just a file.

Just note that performance will be throttled by the bus speed. If you use a relatively slow external USB performance will suffer over a SATA or FW800 connection.

B

I am going to put the image file on my external FW800 drive. Will that be a steady fast connection?

On another note, when is Parallels 7 coming out? Should I get 6 now or wait? Also would I install Windows 7 64bit?

AisEv

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Installed Leopard vm on top of Lion system. But no network card or adapter installed. Anyone, any idea how to install an ethernet network card in Leopard vm?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
On another note, when is Parallels 7 coming out? Should I get 6 now or wait? Also would I install Windows 7 64bit?

It's out on the 6th. Buy 6 on Amazon for $50 and you can get a free upgrade to 7.

I installed 32 bit because I don't plan on giving my Windows vm more than 4GB of RAM. For what I run 32 bit Windows is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.