Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bismarck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
I am thinking about getting a miniMac and migrating all my stuff (Quicken, Office docs) to Mac because I want to spend more time messing with digital photos, scanned photos, videos from my camcorder, recording music - all the things that Mac software is supposed to be oh so good at. My Wintel motherboard is going out anyway. So I figured on having an external Firewire NTFS drive for the old stuff to move to the Mac.

I don't feel like Bootcamp is my choice - I don't game, so I don't care about the 3d graphics. I think I want to use Parallels so I don't have to go and buy Office again. But have questions about the access to filesystems.

I've read that OSX can read NTFS and read/write FAT32. Since Parallels is in a VM under OSX, is it also unable to write to NTFS ?

Parallels runs in a different partition. But what I have read is not clear. Is it partioned memory ? Or does it use different disk partitions ? In other words, do apps running under Win2000 in Parallels have the ability to read/write files on the OSX formatted drive, or do they have to write to a NTFS or FAT32 partition on the drive ?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The Win2K "boot disk" is a file under OS X read by Parallels, and can be formatted NTFS. No partitions are necessary.

I haven't tried with an external, but Parallel's support for other USB devices and drives is somewhat spotty. e.g. I have been unable to have my Parallels Win 2K mount my XP boot camp partition.

Parallels offers a shared folder solution which allows you to read/write parts of the OS X file system from within Parallels as if they were a network drive.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.