Parallels and windows 8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JerseyDoug, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I have a new MBP Retina 15" and need to run some windows software for business. I ordered Parallels 8. I then downloaded Parallels 9 because it allowed me to download Windows 8.1. I installed it as a trial.

Then, when Parallels 8 showed up, I installed it, it recognized 8.1, so I downloaded a windows 8upgrde and installed it. This seems to have worked. However, I think aim overlooking something and when the trial expiration arrives ill be screwed. However, I no longer get the message to purchase the license.

Anyone have any idea if the above process works?

Thanks.

2. JerseyDoug thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'll let you know if this actually worked. I was hoping someone had experience with this. Guess not.

3. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Did this work?

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Did you install Parallels 9 and then install 8?

5. JerseyDoug thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded 9 and Windows 8.1 and installed them. Then, when Parallels 8 showed up, I downloaded and activated it and then purchased Windows 8 Upgrade and downloaded and installed that.

My concern is with Windows 8. When I start up Parallels, it is running Windows 8.1 even though I activated Windows 8 with the key from Microsoft.

I want to be sure it is going to continue to work before I sell my PC. I need to be able to run QuickBooks (PC versions) on my MacBook Pro.

6. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

If I understand correctly, you got Win 8 for free so if the worst happens and you have to buy it you're not out anything. Am I missing something?

7. JerseyDoug thread starter macrumors regular

No. But, as usual, I left out an important fact.

Parallels 8, bought and paid for. Beta version of Windows 8.1 acquired via download of trial version of Parallels.

Since Windows 8 is only available for purchase as an upgrade, I purchased the upgrade. (I am trying to be legit here. The cost of the OS is immaterial.)

I downloaded and installed the Windows 8 upgrade and input the software key.

Everything is functioning at present. Any problems I have encountered are operation error, at this point.

When I start up the VM is says I am running Windows 8.1. What I am concerned about some trial or beta time frame expiring and me being screwed because I didn't/couldn't install a full version of Windows 8 (remember I installed the upgrade I purchased.)

Hope that clarifies it. I see that my original post was very unclear.

Thanks.

8. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Ok, but if you have concerns I would give Parallels a call and check with them.

9. Zizou001 macrumors newbie

Quickbooks 2011, Paralles 9 & Windows 8.1

Hi, I am encountering a problem that I simply cannot figure out.

I am running QuickBooks 2011 on Parallels 9 and Windows 8.1.

The issue is simply, I cannot use the QuickBooks "send" function. I keep getting an error that QuickBooks does not detect an email client on the Windows 8.1. Yet, I have set up the emailing in Parallels to default to MAC.

The other think is that I am also running Outlook 2011 in the MAC version.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?