Parallels and XP on a new MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duncanapple, Nov 26, 2008.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hey all - I just tried to do a search on this topic and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I just bought a brand new 2.5ghz 15 inch MBP. I need to run windows (unfortunately :) on it for a few work applications and need some advice. I bought the latest version of parallels so I don't have to reboot to switch between apps.

However I wanted to avoid buying another copy of windows XP as I have a desktop (from Dell) with a license I will no longer be using. I don't have the OEM disc anymore (its an old computer) but if I obtain a retail windows XP install disc (with SP2 already included - its a friends who IS using his key that came with the disc), and then use the serial key from my old dell/XP computer, will this work? Ie does the OEM serial key require a OEM XP disc? Or will the retail disc I have suffice? Again, this is all going on parallels.

Any experience or suggestions would be great. The laptop was BTO, so its on its way, but I want to be sure I have all I need to get it up and running quickly.

Thanks in advance -
    Chris

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Though the activation will be a royal pain - you'll have to do it over the phone, since the Internet-based activation will probably fail to work - this DOES work. I've had to deal with a similar issue, but with Vista instead of XP, and a PowerSpec PC instead of a Dell - I know firsthand how difficult the initial setup can be sometimes.