Parallels and XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by usernotabuser, Jun 24, 2007.

1. usernotabuser macrumors newbie

Do you need a new XP install CD or can you use the CD that came with a Dell computer? The PC gave me problems, and will stop using that PC and hoping to use that XP OS on the mac. Will this count as using the OS on one machine or will I need to buy a new XP CD?

Will Parallels automatically upgrade to the latest version when I purchase the software from the store or have the stores removed the older versions from the shelves?

Thanks

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I just installed Parallels on my new MacPro.... and used the OEM XP install disk (XP/sp1) that came with my PC about 4 years ago.... As long as you have the Product Key [or go here http://www.acidstudioz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315 ] it should install with no problems. Make sure you run Windows Update before you go off and start installing other Windows apps. And if you load an SP1 disk.. run Windows Update, THEN install SP2, then run Windows Update again.... Mine installed over 95 patches and updates before it was done....

But I have to say Parallels is awesome.... in Coherence mode it virtually seamless between OSX and XP