Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I wonder if this can be run on a Hackintosh... :3

(sorry for double post)
This is a business/enterprise product - I don’t think you are going to find too many businesses that are going to run Hackintoshes. If they are in any way business centric, they are running on legitimate Apple Hardware. They don’t even quote a price which leads me to believe that it’s that high...

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
This is a business/enterprise product - I don’t think you are going to find too many businesses that are going to run Hackintoshes. If they are in any way business centric, they are running on legitimate Apple Hardware. They don’t even quote a price which leads me to believe that it’s that high...

If you don't think hackintoshers are going to try to run this in their basements, I have this great bridge to sell you - centrally located!

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I'm hoping VMware will step it up and support mac OS X server on their ESX/ESXi platform. Parallels is selling this for just under $2000, whereas you can get ESXi for free which makes it great for testing purposes or people on a tight budget that don't need the bells and whistles ESX gets you.

Looking forward to some reviews on this product.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Duh. I would like to play with it in my basement (as tofageri stated ;) ) and learn the product before considering purchasing it for a business setting. And while they offer a free trial, I don't have a Mac Pro/XServe at home, just Apple's more consumer products.

Also, this could potentially make a BETTER Hackintosh. Right now, Hackintoshes involve a hodgepodge of drivers to get them to run...would be interesting if virtualization allowed us to overstep some of that.

Also, while ESXi can be run at home and basically does the same thing, you can't virtualize Mac OS X (at least, officially).

And yes, I second that I hope this moves VMWare to port ESX over.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'll stick with HP and VMware. The Xserve hardware just isn't as good for the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.