Parallels created two VMs; Boot Camp & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Charlie13, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Charlie13 macrumors newbie

I bought my first Macbook Pro 15” and I installed Windows 7 64-bit using bootcamp without any problem. Thereafter, I used Parallels 5 to create a virtual machine for Windows 7 and be able to run Windows 7 within the Snow Leopard OS and be able to move back and forth between the two operating systems. However, Parallels 5 created two virtual machines, one called Boot Camp and one called Windows 7. When I was installing Parallels I chose to create the Windows 7 virtual machine but never asked Parallels to create the Boot Camp virtual machine. Where this other virtual machine is coming from? Am I able to delete it without creating any problem or conflicts? Moreover, I have two shortcut icons on the Mac pointing to either of these two partitions. Similarly I have two windows folders on the right side of the Mac dock. What should I do to have only the Windows 7 virtual machine without creating any problems or conflicts? Help will be greatly appreciated.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Both Parallels and VMWare offer two ways of dealing with Boot Camp installs.

1) Launch Boot Camp in a VM. This gives you one isntall of Windows that can be launched in a VM or in Boot Camp.

2) "Import" Boto Camp to a VM. This gives you two independent installs of Windows. One in the VM and one for the native hardware. Changes made to the VM do not propagate to the Boot Camp install and vice versa.

Sounds like you did #2.

Do you use Boot Camp or is Parallels enough for your needs?

B

3. Charlie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Can I delete the Parallels Boot Camp VM? I want to have only one Parallels Windows 7 VM and also be able to reboot using my boot camp partition that I originally created.

Is this possible?

If so, what is the safest way?

4. French macrumors regular

I realize this thread is older and the OP probably figured things out, but as someone who just finished installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp and then installed Parallels and then subsequently inadvertently installed Windows 7 in Parallels as a virtual machine, I thought it might be helpful for users after me/OP to understand what they are doing rather than searching for help and seeing a thread with the exact title of their issue, only to see no resolution.

The OP stated they want to be able to boot into Bootcamp so that windows is running exclusively when needed, as well as be able to open windows within the mac environment.

The way I accomplished this is to first install Windows 7 via Bootcamp, and then to install Parallels and point it to Bootcamp for the Windows 7 access. This will allow you to shut down the computer and restart it into Windows exclusively, or you could boot into Mac and then select a Windows program to open (from your taskbar Windows folder) and that will open in the Mac environment. This also leaves you with only one option within parallels (rather than the two the OP ended up with).

It sounds like the OP actually did what I did which was to inadvertently install the 2nd Windows 7 Virtual Machine. The OP would have wanted to delete THAT install and keep the Bootcamp install to accomplish what they want.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful to anyone that might stumble into this same issue. I have been reading these forums a lot and I see new posts every single day where someone says they just bought their first Mac (me included).