Parallels / Crossover / Vusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boozer, Mar 8, 2010.

1. boozer macrumors newbie

What program is better for running Windows games on my Mbpro?

I use my Mbpro for all my school/work needs. I was curious what program should I utilize for my gaming needs? I am only going to use windows for games, so please inject some worldly wisdom.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

None of the above. Use Bootcamp.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you game, Bootcamp
    If you are a true gamer, no virtualization will give you the performance you want

4. boozer thread starter macrumors newbie

Much obliged chaps. I am only a true gamer when Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 comes out.

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

If you need full speed out of your Windows environment, then use BootCamp. Virtualisation will always be slower due to competing with the Mac OS.

Avoid CrossOver - it's a worthless waste of time, unless you have EXTREMELY simple Windows needs (it might just about be useful for playing Minefield).

If you don't mind tinkering, then the free VirtualBox might be worth considering.

Otherwise you're left with Parallels and Fusion. Most people seem to perfer Fusion. My latest Mac magazine had a review comparing the two - they said the two are pretty much identical, with Fusion being slightly more polished and Parallels being slightly faster.

6. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

By your reply post on those 2 games you should note that Blizzard is a huge supporter of OSX. They generally make their games compatible with both Windows and OSX.

7. boozer thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I'm happy that I do not need to mess around with crossing over to windows when playing Blizzard games. Mac compatible ftw.