Parallels Desktop 5 Messed Up Boot Time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattMJB0188, Jun 13, 2010.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

So last night I downloaded the trial for Parallels desktop. Installed everything and it worked fine however I do believe you need at least 6gb of ram to run it smoothly. Anyway had to restart my computer and noticed my boot time was really taking a long time. On average it always took 36 seconds from a cold boot to get to the desktop. Yes I did time it before just to compare it to my desktop. I was now getting 50 seconds to get to my desktop and shut down time also increased. I uninstalled parallels completely and my shut down time decreased but boot time was stil around 48-50 seconds whereas before it was 36.

This morning I reset the PRAM & NVRAM and used onyx to clean everything out. I also repaired my disk permissions. I shut down the MBP and then timed it again and got 31 seconds to my desktop. So I'm happy I increased boot time. I just wanted to know if anyone else installed Parallels Desktop 5 trial and experienced this? I think this is ridiculous because Parallels 5 seemed really impressive but I don't think it should mess with my Mac OS X boot time itself. I really doubt I'll install it again yet alone purchase it because I don't want to loose boot time.

MRoogle doesn't seem to bring up anything on this but I did find out others are experiencing this issue:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=96166

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I assume that Parallels Desktop, like VMware Fusion, loads extensions at boot to enable networking and other types of host <-> guest integration. This would definitely increase boot time although I'm not sure if it should increase it as much as it did for you. Did you try all the maintenance steps you took before uninstalling Parallels to see if the boot time decreased? I'm doubtful that there was anything really "wrong" with your system before.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Mine boots in ~40 seconds on a 5200RPM 1TB hard drive with 2.27GB free. I have both Parallels and Fusion installed along with Virtualbox.

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I used Onyx when I had it installed and boot time didn't improve. I should have tried repairing the file permissions with it installed. I didn't think it was my system. This Macbook Pro has been amazing in so many ways. Thanks again for your input.

That I could have lived with. I honestly t have no use for Virtual machine software and thought I'd just try it for fun. Windows 7 runs way better natively IMO. I must say I liked the fact that parallels gives the user the option to run windows apps natively in mac osx. I forget what they called it but that was really neat.