Parallels Desktop 5 using Bootcamp partition questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JaZzMaN251, Jan 22, 2010.

1. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

I'd like to get some feedback from forummembers here that are using Parallels Desktop 5 using their Bootcamp partition as a Virtual Machine.
    I'm not sure for wich type of virtualisation I should go.

- VM in Parallels only
    pro: ability to pause, save, 'instant recall' the VM
    cons: no 100% use of system resources

- VM using the Bootcamp partition
    pro: ability to run both in OS X and bootcamp when needed
    cons: no pause, save, need to cold boot the VM each time

I know the main question for me is: What do you use Windows most for?
    I'd just like to get some 'hands on' feedback before making a decision (and installing/activating windows)

2. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I installed Windows 7 via Boot Camp first. Then, I installed Parallels 5 using the Boot Camp partition. Doing it this way gives you the best of both worlds because you can boot to Windows 7 in Boot Camp when playing games or intensive resource applications, or just boot to Windows 7 from within OSX if you are using lighter applications or casual gaming.

You do not have to install Windows 7 twice, but you DO have to activate Windows 7 in both. Some people have had luck activating in Boot Camp first and then in Parallels. But more than likely, you'll have to call the activation phone number and activate the second time. It's a piece of cake and you don't actually talk to a human. It's all automated and you just enter in a bunch of numbers and ensure that you're only installing Windows on one computer. Worked like a charm.