Parallels Desktop 7 for MAC -- Costs???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slstein, Jun 22, 2012.

1. slstein macrumors newbie

I have Macbook Air 2011 and I'm thinking of installing Parallels Desktop 7 for MAC.

But the cost to download Parallels 7 ($80) and then there linked version of Window 7 , is bundled at $250!!!

Seems very high, I'm just wndering the cost/value relationship?

Is there a better way?

Also, I'd like to run my Mabook Air together with a Thunderbolt display, magic mouse, trackpad, keyboard?

Anyone do this yet and have any comments on this setup?

Thanks!

2. ki7hy macrumors member

I have done exactly this. I have ran my 11" air with Parallels and trackpad and keyboard with 27" Apple display for awhile now. It runs just fine. I just moved to the rMBP but I can say the 11" runs Parallels/Windows 7 Enterprise and the peripherals. Just fine.

As for cost....that's the price of Windows I guess. Can't help you there. I ran my install from a work image which is the only reason I have Windows in the first place. I just had Parallels make the laptop they gave me into a VM and that's it. I did however have to purchase Parallels.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Honestly, just buy an iMac while you're at it! It sounds like you just need another computer altogether if you want a magic mouse, trackpad, and keyboard. That is exactly the same price as the iMac.

And it's a lot cheaper to go with Boot Camp. Buy Windows 7 and just load it.

4. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

See if you or somebody you know has a Technet subscription, either from their workplace or for personal use. It allows them to generate a limited number of license keys.

5. ki7hy macrumors member

That might work for some, but, I always struggled with the iMac's size and weight when I carried it around in my messenger bag when I was working away from my desk. :cool:

6. slstein thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is I do love the Air and need it for traveling...
    but at my desk, I use MS Outlook Web Access and to see the full version it, which needs to be viewed though IE...
    so I need my deektop PC at work.

I'm trying to combine the air with a thunderbolt display cause I like the set up with the 27".

May I just get one the new all-in-one pc's coming in the 27" range...torn...and be done with it...
    don't want to use bootcamp!!!

7. ki7hy macrumors member

That's what I was saying in my original reply. The air works just fine using Parallels and hooked to a big monitor. I did it for about a year before getting this retina MBP. I am a huge fan of having everything in one place so two computers is a pain imo.

I'm a Microsoft SQL DBA during the day so Microsoft plays a big part of my life but the Windows OS is dreadful in comparison so I use OS X with Parallels in coherence mode for the couple of Microsoft apps I am forced to use. It works very well.

8. chrisherbert macrumors member

Have you tried VirtualBox? It's free, although you will still need a copy of Windows.

9. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

parallels is constantly being bundled into $40 collections this summer, so keep an eye for that to save %50 and get other apps included.

Also buy a OEM version of windows and save a good chunk of change, or try google for a "free" version.

10. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

also keep in mind that Parallels releases a new version every September.

11. slstein thread starter macrumors newbie

and what is the best version of Windows 7 to download,
    where can I download it for the best price?

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not sure how this thread is ML applicable so I'll make it. I have Parallels 6. Is Parallels 6 ML compatible? If not is 7 or will we need the next 8?

13. Benkovitch macrumors newbie

14. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

I use Home Premium on Boot Camp and it works just fine. Why not do that? No pricey parallels program.

15. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Got parallels 7 in one of the Macbundle deals for £35. Then stuck a backup of a retail copy of windows 7 ultimate x64 which we have on one of the work PC's. Just activated it with windows loader.

I have 1 virtual machine running pc only software and I keep a spare for testing software (then roll it back using snapshots).

16. slstein thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advise...anyone know where the lease expensive place to download Windows 7 is? Which versions do I need?
    I have a Macbook air, so can't use discs?

17. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

You can get the free 8 Preview right in Parallels if that helps at all.

18. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Use an upgrade version of windows. WHat it will do is give you an error the first time you install, because there was no existing version of windows to "upgrade" from. [NOTE: DO NOT ENTER YOUR PRODUCT KEY THE FIRST TIME AROUND] EDIT: by "error" I mean windows will not boot.

However, all you have to do is install over that version a second time. This time the install detects a previous install of windows that isn't working, and assumes you are trying to do a recovery.

This will save you $100 (as upgrade versions of windows are cheaper).

Finally, I will add once again... DO NOT enter your product key the first time around.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Does Parallels Version 6 and/or 7 work in Mountain Lion?

20. Newfiebill, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Use Boot Camp

I have used Paraellels 6 and 7 with Windows 7. I have found that Windows works best when installed in a Boot Camp Partition. Printers, Disk Drives, Displays all work better in Boot Camp. In addition, you get to save some Money. To speak to another poster, buy an Upgrade Windows DVD, his instructions on how to install over a previous installation is spot on. It's how I install my Windows 7. Or you can download the .iso file from Microsoft and create an install disk in Disk Utilities. (Search YouTube) Note: make your Boot Camp Partition BIG enough! If possible use 75 to 100 GBs or more. I know, I know... but you'll thank me in the end! Yes, Paraellels 7 has been upgraded to take full advantage of Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8). I am a Registered Developer of OSX.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The price of Windows is the price of Windows. If you want to use it you need to pay for it. As for value, that's a subjective matter. It's up to you if it's worth the cost to you.

22. theluggage macrumors 68030

The reason for that is that to run Windows on a virtual machine and clearly comply with the license you need to buy a 'full retail' copy of Windows, which is rather more expensive than the 'upgrade' (obvious) or 'OEM' (only supposed to be sold with new PCs or the bits thereof) versions that most people get.

If you find a cheaper way then I don't propose to lecture you, but you probably won't find such a solution in an advertised bundle.

As for the virtualization software, since VirtualBox is free its worth giving it a spin and seeing if it does what you want before you shell out for Parallels or VMWare - see if it does what you want. Parallels is slicker, and has some nice Windows/OS X integration features. Last time I tried, VB couldn't run the Aero style in Win 7 (some might regard that as an advantage) and parallels seemed to have better game support - but VB is developing all the time. I haven't looked at VMWare for ages.

As for people suggesting Boot Camp: if you want to do any 'heavy lifting' in Windows and need the full performance of your machine, that's the way to go, but it does mean that you have to restart every time you want to switch OSs - you'll also need something like Paragon's NTFS for OS X and/or HFS for Windows to exchange files between OS X and Windows, whereas VB/Parallels/VMWare include file sharing features.

Other pros/cons on an Air:

* Boot camp means deciding from the start how to divide your SDD space between OS X and Windows - which is fairly inefficient if you've only got a small-ish SSD. Parallels/VB make you specify a maximum disc size, but the 'virtual disc' file starts out small and grows as the disc fills up.

* Parallels/VB are memory hogs. Can't remember if any of the 2011 Airs only had 2GB, but if so... not so good.