Parallels Desktop 8 Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jimbo1mcm, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I purchased a new Imac and I have a question about migrating from my Windows 7 machine( which came with Windows 7 pre-installed ) with Parallels 8. I think I understand that when installing Parallels 8 and you want to migrate you are supposed to insert a Windows 7 install disc. My Windows machine did not come with a disc, but I do have other copies of Windows 7 install discs for my laptop but not the machine I want to migrate from. Will using a generic Windows 7 install disc, allow me to migrate from the computer that came with Windows 7 pre-installed? Thanks.

2. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I just installed the migration tool of Parallels on my Win7 machine and it created an image all by itself towards my iMac.

You can choose to do it over the network which takes longer but its very easy.
    I did not need a CD.

3. RPJ macrumors newbie

Installing Windows

I have installed Parallels8 on a on a Macbook Air. I did not get a Windows disc with my Samsung PC, but have just installed Windows 7 using the recovery disc that came with the PC...

4. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Update: Parallels 8 from PC

I used the Switch to Mac Desktop 8 from Parallels with their proprietary usb cable. I transferred everything from my PC, including the Windows 7 Operating System.........but, it told me the copy of Windows was not genuine and I had 30 days to fix it. I didn't want to screw up the installation, so I just purchased a copy of Windows 7 from the online page. Everything works fine now. Next time I will go find a copy of Windows 7 before I start. My PC did not come with a disc. Windows 7 was pre-loaded on it.