Parallels Desktop 9 SUCKS on MBP: Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sarakn, Feb 7, 2014.

1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I switched from PC to MAC last October and have been happy with almost everything except the performance and experience with Parallels Desktop 9. I hardly have to use it, but each time I do, the experience is frustrating and horrible.

I've been able to do 95% of my work on MAC, but there are sometimes I need windows such as remote desktop to access apps that sit on another machine (trust me, there's no other way around this. Even on windows, I had to RDP to those systems). When the performance was not that great, I just assumed it was the RDP experience.

However, if I use Microsoft Office in Parallels AND coherence mode, at some point it shuts down the entire VM - always happens. If Office is used without coherence, maybe I get 30-60 minutes before the screens starts pixellating or going nuts and I have to restart.

The MAJOR problem I have with Parallels is the FAN NOISE. In OSX alone, I could have many apps running simultaneously and everything is super quiet. I turn on Parallels and even with ONLY Firefox running, the fan comes on and it's very frustrating. It always happens. The fan is not as loud as my windows, but when you go from whisper quiet to a persistent noise, that's just hard to ignore.

I have a late 2013 15" MBP with 16GB ram so it should not be a problem with resource.

Maybe it's my own ignorance/poor settings, but I've heard not to use more than 4GB ram for windows as it could negatively impact the OSX session.

I'm using Parallels Desktop 9, running windows 8.1. I have 2 CPUs and 4GB RAM allocated.
    [​IMG]

My optimization settings are:
    [​IMG]

Please help.
    Thanks!

2. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

Have you tried Windows 7?

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

There is an RDP for Mac. I remote to my Windows machine at work, almost daily.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18140

4. mneblett macrumors 6502

I have the same set-up -- 15" late '13 MBP with 16GB, using Parallels 9, Windows 8.1 and Word.

I have not had *any* of the issues you describe -- no crashes, no fan noise.

The only difference I see is that I've allocated 6GB to Parallels, with no OSX issues (not surprising because of the way Mavericks does on-the-fly RAM compression now).

I am sorry that I do not have any solutions for you -- I'm posting to let you know you know that the issue doesn't appear to be a fundamental flaw in Parallels 9, because it does work.

My only crumb of assistance would be to remove/reinstall the software (a major pita, I know), so that you can be sure you are starting with a "clean slate" as you troubleshoot.

5. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thank you. I'll try increasing the RAM. I knew it had to be something with my configuration, I just wasn't sure why.

----------

No. Personally, I feel PD9 should work with the latest software version if that's what they claim their apps do. Why advertise software claiming it runs the latest apps only to have to downgrade?

Thanks for your suggestion, but I feel there should be a better solution.

6. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

7. chrfr macrumors 603

8. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

mneblett:
    Can you take a look at your video configuration:
    Configure >> Hardware >> Video

What options do you have on that page?

Thanks!

----------

Thanks! I'll check it out.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

10. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I'd give the VM 6GB of RAM and 3-4 "CPUs". That's what I do and it works great.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

Allocating 3-4 cores allocated to the virtual machine on a 4 core machine will be counterproductive.

13. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Why is that? If that's the case, why give the option to increase to up to 8 cpus.

If you don't agree with that, what do u suggest?

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It's mislabeled in Parallels, it's threads not cores, so on the quad core CPU you have 8 threads.

15. skallal, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

skallal macrumors member

I'm also running Parallels Desktop 9 with Windows 8.1 Pro. The thing I don't recall reading is what sort of drive you have HD or SSD? I have a mid 2012 in MBP 15" next out at 16 GB RAM. Coincidentally, I am also giving it 4 cores, which means 4 threads, and 6 GB RAM. I initially had the stock HD before I switched to SSD, which made a huge difference. I also get very good performance with the PD9 VM.

Also I'm running some CPU intensive software such as Visual Studio, and PD9 handles it just fine!

I've personally find Parallels Desktop to be faster than VMware fusion on lower end hardware. So when I got a faster Mac, I went with Parallels Desktop.

Again, like the others said, I think you might just want to wipe it clean and reinstall, because your setup should be working just fine.

16. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I'm have the latest system - late 2013 machine with SSD.

When you guys say reinstall parallels, get the chills (from my Windows days) because I don't know what that's supposed to resolve.

Reinstall parallels and do what? It's more of a configuration, right?

So what should the configuration be.

If I reinstall parallels, I would have to reinstall the OS and all apps. Is it possible to reinstall and then move the old OS into the new installation?

17. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The VMs are separate from the actual Parallels install, they're located in your documents folder/Parallels.

18. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks, I reinstalled and will monitor for improvements.

19. mneblett macrumors 6502

Video memory at 1024MB, both checkboxes checked, 3D: DirectX 10.

Also running with 2 cores (threads) allocated. The machine's performance is high enough that that hasn't been a constraint for me.

20. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks again.

Also, when you say 2 cores, do you mean the CPUs on the general configuration tab?

21. mneblett macrumors 6502

Yes - that is why I parentheticalled "threads" -- 2 "cores" in Parallels = 1 physical core (2 threads/core).

22. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

If you aren't gaming or doing any 3d, try turning off DirectX 10 and you won't need 1024MB of video ram for 2d only.