Parallels Desktop Mac - Can I use Windows XP Upgrade with OEM XP from old Dell?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bfkouba, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bfkouba macrumors newbie

I installed Parallels on my mac, and now I'm trying to figure out how to install Windows XP.
    :confused:
    I realized that I accidentally purchased the XP Home upgrade package instead of the full version. From what I understand, I can use this to install Windows XP on my mac as long as I have another Windows disc to insert when it asks for proof of my old version.

The only old version I have is another XP disc from an older Dell. It's the Dell Windows "reinstallation" disc, branded with Dell.

So the question is, will that disc work for me to use the upgrade? My concerns are that they're both XP (can you use XP to upgrade XP?) and the old XP disc is the Dell version.

I haven't opened the XP upgrade box yet, and I can still return it, so I'm looking for some confident answers before I move forward with this.

Thanks so much for your time!

BK

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you satisfied that your license will be valid? If so, carry on.

I installed XP from Upgrade on my iMac by combining the XP Upgrade and a Windows ME disc on one DVD. Worked great to get around the single disc issue with installing on a Mac.

As it turns out, the XP installer only looks for the directory/file structure of the previous version disk to validate the previous install, so all you need to do is replicate the directory/file structure of a W98/ME disc with empty files.

EDIT: Link to the ancient thread that may have some other useful information on it. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192164

B

3. bfkouba thread starter macrumors newbie

@balamw - Thank you.

Yes, the installation code will be valid since I purchased the XP upgrade box new from Amazon.

Are there any problems with using an old XP disc to serve as the proof for the new XP upgrade? In other words, it's not really upgrading since they're both XP. Hopefully that won't throw any red flags up.

Thanks,
    BK

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just because the activation code will work, doesn't mean you have a valid license. (e.g. Hackintosh).

I doubt your Dell XP install disc will work as a "qualifying previous version"

Here's the link I was looking for. http://tzs.net/blog/?p=31

You just need the filenames from the win98 folder and the drivers folder from a Windows 98 disc.

EDIT: HINT: Google Windows 98 CD-ROM "Directory Listing"

B

5. bfkouba thread starter macrumors newbie