Parallels Desktop or Parallels Switch to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stated, May 17, 2011.

1. Stated macrumors newbie

(Sorry another new Mac owner question!)

I've just bought an iMac, installed Boot Camp + Win 7. Everything works fine. I'm looking at purchasing Parallels so that I can also run the Windows partition virtually and to create an image of my old Win XP machine.

I've seen that available are "Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac" and "Parallels Desktop 6 Switch to Mac Edition". But what are the differences?

I've seen that the switch to Mac edition contains a USB-USB cable (but these can be bought cheapily). Are there other features allowing me to create Windows images from old machines that are exclusive to that edition or is the cable the only difference (except of course the price difference)?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

According to their website, the StM edition contains:
    # Parallels Desktop® 6 for Mac
    # High-speed USB transfer cable to directly connect Mac and PC
    # On demand video tutorials designed for the Windows user to learn Mac
    # Complementary software: Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac and Windows; Acronis True Image™ for backup and recovery, and Acronis Disk Director™ for managing your virtual hard disk

You *might* run into Windows activation issues if you try to run it on the virtual machine; especially if it is an OEM edition which is locked to one machine. As far as the software, it looks like the USB cable is about all that you get special. The imaging software as well. My suggestion would be to copy all of your documents/other stuff off using Sharing on MacOSX (network drive). Any Windows programs that you need, I would just run them on Windows 7 via BootCamp/Parallels.

As far as setup options, I would suggest install Windows 7 via Boot Camp then install Parallels to run the Boot Camp partition. That way, you have the option of dual boot or reboot to run Windows.