Parallels Desktop - which windows version?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by discofuel, Feb 21, 2010.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I'm just about to purchase a quad-core 27" iMac and I'll want to use Parallels Desktop to run software not available on the mac such as MediaMonkey, and for testing websites in windows.

I'll only ever be using very basic applications - nothing processor/ram intensive. In terms of speed performance would XP be the best bet or Windows 7. Should I go for 32 or 64-bit?

Also, can Parallels read and write directly to specific folders on the mac hard drive?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

In terms of performance, XP might be the best. Windows 7, unless you plan on using over 4GB of ram, 32-bit is fine.

You can share folders in Parallels to link it to your Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Music ... im missing one more but I can't remember which. Everything you save in windows to those folders will also be on the mac side because it relinks windows folders to your mac.

3. aki macrumors 6502a

its really personal choice but i myself would vote for win7 over xp

the truth is parallels 5 is written with win7 in mind, and win7 is pretty fast and efficient for a modern os; and xp is really aging now

its true xp is smaller in size and in theory faster, but there is also the qsn of how efficient the gui is etc etc when thinking about speed

basically my feeling is, win7 is not slow, so why choose a dated OS, unless there is some really clear reason you need it

re 32/64bit, its true if you wont need your ram there is no advantage to 64 bit

having said that i have been using 64bit win7 under parallels 5 for a month or two now without any problems

have fun!

4. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice. Think I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 then.

5. problem1634 macrumors newbie

Reformat needed after attempting to use Fusion

well I finally bought a Mac after never using apple since The Apple II. I hated windows due to its clumsiness and stuck with OS/2 as long as possible so was used to running windows in another system, When vista came out I stuck with XP but finally had to buy a new PC. I tried to install Parallels but it always said it could not contact the server no mater what system changes I made, I tried to contact them and sent many dump files but never even got an acknowledgment. I then tried VM Fusion which installed OK but after taking my Bootcamp windows partition ran so slow it was not usable and after a reboot could no longer even find the windows partition. I reinstalled it but again got the same problem. I also found VM fusion had removed the option to boot into windows from my OSX 10.6 system, to fix this I had to reformat both my Mac and Windows partitions. So try a trial at your own risk and be warned.

6. aki macrumors 6502a

i havent used fusion so no idea on that

although most parallels people i read from here share their bootcamp partition with their parallels install, i have always kept them separate ie had one "pure" windows install under bootcamp which i keep as clean as possible (for games and (rare) "real work" I cant do in osx), and use the parallels one for stuff i just want to tinker with or isnt so important. it does seem like sharing them works fine but i guess im paranoid.

its a pity parallels didnt work for you. i dont have the brains to suggest why. does work smoothly for me though, overall.