Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

JonL12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I installed Parallels 8 on my iMac and have put Windows 7 on it. It is sharing the data so that what is on my iMac desktop is also seen on my Windows 7 desktop. I thought this was a good idea but now I am not so sure!

Do you guys tend to keep things completely separate, with a closed environment for Windows 7? Or do you share the data, and use Coherence mode etc?

Thanks,

Jon

I only use Parallels on my work account. I share the desktop and documents. It makes it easier to work across both operating systems for me.

/Jim

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.

Comment

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Use Dropbox

I limit sharing between host and guest to pre-defined shared folders. This way, Windows can't insert random files into my Mac profile that OS X has no use for (or vice versa), and it's easy to clean up after the VM has been shut down.

I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I only use Win 7 for work in both Parallels and also in boot camp when I want all resources up for Autodesk Civil 3d etc. I use Dropbox for all my work files so I know where things are going! Also makes it available at workstations etc for rendering!
That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.

Comment

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes but...

That's actually a good idea - I did not think of that. The one downside of Dropbox is that it's dependent on your network connection - my upload speed is certainly faster than the 56k modem days, but it's still not all that quick.

Remember that Dropbox uses a folder on the hard drive that it then backs up to the cloud, so it can dribble away uploading in the background.

I use my MBP when out and about tethered to an iPhone to get a 3G signal and it still works fine.

Everything is then visible on Windows as well as I have created a short cut in libraries in windows back to OSX dropbox folder as my save point!

Worth considering.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.