Parallels - does VM have its own IP address?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by UtahWJR, Mar 7, 2013.

1. UtahWJR macrumors member

Running latest Parallels with Windows 7 Pro on a 15" rMBP. Does the Windows VM have it's own distinct IP address? If not, can it be assigned one?

Can I access an app running in the VM from the rMBP via TCP?

Thanks.

Bill

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Parallels will set up networking in one of three ways you chose. With "bridged networking" it connects the VM to the networking adapter you choose (current default or force to Ethernet, Wifi, or anything else you have). In this case in a typical environment your router (or server) will assign an IP address just like it does with your Mac, as it looks like a separate system. You can also go with "shared networking" in which case it shares the IP address with your Mac. I would suspect (haven't verified) that it uses port forwarding and basically sets up its own local network between the VM and the Mac. Finally there is "Host Only networking" where the VM can only access the Mac. This is good if you want it to run if a walled environment.

Yes you can access the VM via TCP. I've demoed a networked application running two Windows VMs simultaneously with the networked application running on the Mac and both VMs, all communicating with each other.

3. UtahWJR, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

UtahWJR thread starter macrumors member

Tested this out with 3 instances of a chat program that comunicates via UPDSockets - 2 Mac's and a Win7 VM.

Chat app lists all available instances of itself running on the network by computer name / IP and you pick the IP to communicate with. The Mac's see the VM and can send data to it but the VM can't initate a chat - IP's for the Mac's don't appear available to it.

When I first launched the app within the Win7 VM I got a message stating the app was trying to access some services - can't recall exact verbage.

Next test is to run the app on a true Windows machine and see how it reacts there.

Could this be a firewall issue within the VM?

Thanks.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yep, sounds like some Windows firewall issue. I can both ping the Win 7 VM from OS X and ping OS X from the Win 7 VM.