Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkmoon12198

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Hello, I used a Windows XP Pro SP3.iso from a friend to install windows on Parallels 5. The installation worked fine, I installed Parallels Tools... But when I download something from the internet, ANYTHING, it shows up as a DOSBox on the desktop, and it won't run. Every time I click on it, it will say "xxx.exe is not a valid Win32 application.".

I then used the .iso in VMWare Fusion, and it's working perfectly. I can't try it in boot camp (it won't partition my drive). Although, my friend has mounted the .iso to a CD and used it on boot camp, and it worked fine. He then used that windows partition to use it in Parallels and it works. He used the same .iso as me. I don't know where he got it. I didn't get a virus on the Parallels Windows XP, I can't even download anything... Nor have I gone on any malicious sites. Please help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
First piece of advice is to buy your own copy of windows instead of using a "friend's" ISO copy.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
2nd piece of advice, what anti-malware stuff is installed on the parallels VM? Is it going through a webproxy? Are you using the same web browser?

Sounds more like an interfering piece of nannyware rather than the base VM.

Oh and i second the first responder, buy your own.

Leto-Parallels

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
You have 2 options:
1. Try to clean temp files in Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet
Options > General Tab > Delete Cookies and Delete Files buttons
2. Scan your Windows OS for viruses and trojans – this might be the reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.