parallels gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sharksfan1139, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sharksfan1139 macrumors newbie

I've tried running counterstrike 1.6 on parallels 3.0 and it has problems. It is really slow and when I connect to a server it gets stuck connecting then times out. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My suggestion is to use Boot Camp. It'd help to know what hardware you're using as well.

3. sharksfan1139 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im on a macbook pro 2.0ghz, intel core duo, 2gb ram

i hate switching back and forth on bootcamp i was hoping this was a solution

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Parallels is NOT for gaming as there is no 3d graphics acceleration. I highly suggest going over to bootcamp to game.

5. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Maybe the problem is in your Mac characteristics?
    But I agree with yippi more likely the problem is that Parallels is not for gaming. It is their main disadvantage among the great number of advantages. I guess you should use Boot Camp for gaming otherwise use Parallels.

6. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I have read today that I can run PC only games on my Mac with Parallels! :) It is surprising for me because I never knew before that I can do it. :eek: I use BootCamp for gaming. Just check this information about the features of Parallels Desktop 3.0 on their website. Does anybody else run games through Parallels? Any more reports?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

CrossOver works for a small number of games, such as Team Fortress 2 (based on half life 2 engine), and Counterstrike which uses the Half life 1 engine.

What's so difficult about using bootcamp the following way? To get the facts straight, it's Windows that takes the most amount of time, not bootcamp.

1. In OS X, restart, hold option key, wait 10 seconds (more or less) for OS X to restart and select windows partition.

2. Do something while windows boot up and becomes usable (5 minutes?), such as pay your bills, drink some water, lift some weights...

3. Play game

4. To restart back to Mac OS, just click the "Start" menu (yeah click start to shut down, typical of microsoft), and "Log off computer" and Restart, do something else while windows shuts down, which can be minutes.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are a few options:

- CrossOver (when it works it's faster than other options)
    - VMWare
    - Parallels

More info in the Games section
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

9. lucky3killer macrumors regular

Parallels and Fusion are fine for games if came out in pre-2003, pre-directx 9.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you tried Homeworld? I haven't been able to get it to work in Parallels.