Parallels Got A Virus?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by turboseller, Mar 31, 2013.

1. turboseller macrumors newbie

I have been using parallels for a few months and I just got a virus on it. I know it can't actually affect my OSX, but I can't use the internet with parallels anymore, and I kind of need to. So is there a way to get around reinstalling? And if I need to reinstall how would i go about that?
    Thanks

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

...interested to see where this goes, I use Parallels as well.:confused:

3. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Delete the Virtual image(.PVM) of the OS in Parallels infected , then restore it using time machine from a point before you got the virus. I love Parallels, for just this type of thing.

4. simsaladimbamba

Can't you run any of the free AV applications available for Windows like AVGfree or Avast or Micrsoft Security Essentials? Or do you have a Time Machine backup of the Virtual Machine?

If you cannot do either of those, you reinstall Windows like you did before, you just create a new VM to install onto.

5. turboseller thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no experience around virtual machines at all how would you go back to a previous time

----------

ok just for anybody with a similar problem, i would suggetst just taking any vital files you need from your windows and reinstall it. It's alot easier than doing messing around with your files unless you can use time machine which I did not.

6. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Parallels would not enter coherence and a pop up came up with an option to "click for more details" or something similar and took me to a parallels troubleshooting page which listed probable causes and one of them provided alink that ran a virus scan and found and neutralized a "threat". I was then able to enter coherence mode.