Parallels- How to Increase Disk Space

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DogCatMSMac, Nov 22, 2014.

1. DogCatMSMac macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

Have a new iMac R5K. Have installed Parallels and was importing files into the Windows section, have hit a 67GB limit that Parallels recognizes as the Windows section. The Help pages for Parallels show things that don't exist in these menus to increase disk size. How does one increase disk size for Windows, will want to go at least 500GB? Thanks for any help.

2. nerowolfe macrumors member

3. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

The problem is that no matter what I do the Edit button is always greyed out. I have a licensed copy of the latest version.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If the padlock in the bottom left corner is locked, click it to unlock.

5. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

No, its not locked. There are always messages above the Harware edit box saying things like 'To be able to change this page, resume the virtual machine and then shut it down.' I've tried opening Widows, then closing it in every combination I can think of with no change.

6. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

Thanks for your help, I have an item in with Parallels, I'm going to call it quits for today.

7. nerowolfe macrumors member

That's unusual. "Command + Q" followed by choosing shutdown should properly close the virtual machine, which allows PD to edit the size as desired.

1. Give the following a try. Locate the VM file and copy it, then paste it to another location. Add the new copy to PD using "open" and see if you can edit its size successfully.

2. Press "Command + R" and type "msconfig". Under "boot" and check off "safe boot" and leave it on "minimal". Press OK and restart. Once restarted, try shutting down the machine via "Command + Q" and choosing shut down. Give editing VM size a try.

8. bubbleboil macrumors member

Shut down the windows properly, then launch parallel without opening windows, right click on Yr window and configure.

9. DogCatMSMac thread starter macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

Control + Q did it, guess it was not being shut down properly before. Thanks