Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I have installed win 7 using parallels so I can used the windows version if excel. However the keyboard is a disaster. The mac uses fn key alot which is messing it all up.

If I plug in a windows keyboard will I be able to use keyboard shortcuts the same way as windows?

Ctrl shift down and those sort of things don't work currently.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Using a windows keyboard will not help, the problem is by default on the Mac the function keys are mapped to system controls by default. However you can switch the behaviour back to functions keys. Go into the preference panel,  > Preferences. Choose keyboard preferences and then click on the keyboard tab. Check on Use all F1, F2 etc. Keys as standard function keys. Your Windows Keyboard shortcuts should now work fine.

Keyboard.png

davenz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I was talking about the ctrl shift and window keys. Got the f1 keys ect working fine. The issue using things like ctrl shift down in excel.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Ok I am running Excel in Parallels pressing the control shift and down keys appears to be working fine for me. If I select the top cell in a list, Control Shift and down, will extend the selection to the bottom of the list.

What happens when you use ⌃ ⇧ and down arrow in Excel for Windows ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.