Resolved Parallels 'Like a mac' fails

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sungjupark, May 15, 2014.

1. sungjupark, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

sungjupark macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've replaced my 13' mid-2010 MBP to 15' MBPr. I hook these MBPs to Dell 27' monitor @ 2560*1440 resolution.

I have been using Parallels Desktop in Coherence Mode, albeit slowly, on my 2010 MBP, and it worked with no problem at all.

Now I installed Parallels Desktop + windows 7 (same setting) and I got these problems:

1) "Enter Coherence mode" is not activated.

2) On full screen mode, windows does not present the right screen resolution, on both MBP's retina screen and 27' Dell's 2560*1440

3) Sync between Mac and Windows fails. Folders like Desktop, Downloads were automatically syncing previously but now I have to transfer the files manually.

2) looks like some driver sort of problem to me but for 1) + 3) Parallels is clearly failing on 'like a mac' feature.

FYI I have tested VMWare on my new MBPr but it also fails to enter its own coherence mode.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Parallels is a finicky beast - you haven't offered which version you're using. When I do anything with PD, the first thing I do is reinstall Parallel Tools for the version of PD you're using - doing so fixes my problems when I have them with PD.

4. sungjupark thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the Parallel Tools solved most of my problems. Thank you for the suggestion. (I still can't get rid of the status bar(?) at the bottom of the screen thou...)

I wasn't aware of Parallel Tools because it worked with my 13' MBP without installing it... anyway thanks again

----------

Yes it should've gone there but at the time I wrote this I thought it might as well be a MBPr-specific problem, because on my MBP it was perfectly working.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

You're welcome, and...

Launch your VM (in Coherence Mode), find the Parallels Desktop icon in the OS X Dock, Right-click on the PD Dock icon, find the "View" popup menu, select the "Hide Windows Taskbar" item. Voila! That command is also in the "View" Menu...