Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Just got an email from Parallels, they have a new Mac bundle deal good until Nov. 28.

http://www.parallels.com/mac-bundle-deal/

What I'm wondering is this:

Some of the apps included in the bundle are available via AppStore (i.e. 1Password, Camtasia, Gemini). The AppStore purchases can be installed on five Macs - what about the bundled software? Is it possible to add bundled apps to AppleID?

And finally, is this deal actually worth it? I'm still running Parallels 8 on Mountain Lion, keep postponing the upgrade for various reasons...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want two or more of the apps, then its a good bundle. I think Parallels and 1Password make ir worthwhile

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you want two or more of the apps, then its a good bundle. I think Parallels and 1Password make ir worthwhile
Be careful if you're the type that upgrades OSX regularly. Parallels often requires an upgrade fee to upgrade to a version that is compatible with the latest version of OSX.

Tim0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Be careful if you're the type that upgrades OSX regularly. Parallels often requires an upgrade fee to upgrade to a version that is compatible with the latest version of OSX.

That's exactly what's happening right now - I can't use Parallels 8 on Yosemite, so I'm considering an upgrade. Parallels is usually good for 2 years. I just wonder if there's a way to connect the bundled apps to my Apple ID since technically they are available on AppStore.

Also, I never really planned on buying these apps in the first place, so I wonder if they are any good. :)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That's exactly what's happening right now - I can't use Parallels 8 on Yosemite, so I'm considering an upgrade. Parallels is usually good for 2 years. I just wonder if there's a way to connect the bundled apps to my Apple ID since technically they are available on AppStore.

Also, I never really planned on buying these apps in the first place, so I wonder if they are any good. :)
That is why I weaned myself off of Parallels. I enjoyed using it, but it felt a bit like "ransomware". (obviously not technically true, but that is how it "felt")

Since then I've been using Oracle's VirtualBox. I have found it to be quite stable and performance is quite good... and it's free.

Tim0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
I think I looked at Oracle VM two years ago when choosing a tool, and back then Parallels seemed a bit snappier and more user-friendly - but maybe I should give it another try. Thank you for your advice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Both Vmware and Parallels do this, though in the past I was able to run an older version Vmware on a new version of OS X, even if Vmware didn't recommend this.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Not worth it for me as I already have everything in the bundle that I'm interested in. My Parallels 9 is working fine under Yosemite. If I wanted the Parallels upgrade and needed/wanted two or more of the other apps then it would be a great deal. I also prefer buying apps off the App Store so my wife and I can share them.

Last edited:

dublove

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
I just purchased the bundle.

1 Password has the following terms:

License Terms

Note: These terms are for products purchased from our online store only. If you download or purchase our products from the Mac App Store, iTunes App Store, or Google Play, please refer to their licensing agreements.

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.

Examples:

You alone use 1Password on Mac and Windows
You need a single license for Mac and a single license for Windows.
You, your spouse and your two children living in the same household use 1Password, each on their own Mac.
You can all share a single license.
You and your spouse use Knox on the family iMac.
You and your spouse can share a single license.
You alone use 1Password on your home and work Windows machines
You only need one single license for 1Password for Windows.
You alone use 1Password on five PCs and three tablets, all running Windows
Great! You still only need a single license. =)
You alone use 1Password on your Mac, Windows PC, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
You'll need a single license for Mac and a single license for Windows and 1Password 5 for iOS from the iTunes App Store.

CleanmyMac & Gemini - single licence, they cannot be purchased in the app store!

Camtaisia - single licence & requires activation... can be bought on the app store.

Tim0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Thanks so much for clarification, Dublove - this really helps. Although I believe Gemini is available on AppStore as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.